Mikk

DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal

I've tried pedals by Tonebone, Marshall, Boss, Ibanez, Indy Guitarist and a few others that I'm sure I've forget about. While a lot of them were good in thier own way they all left me going..."hmmm, not quite what I thought it would be." Something was always missing, or had too much or too little of something. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say this is THEE pedal of all pedals. But for what it is it's DAMN good and for my needs for what I like to hear it's one of the best I've tried. The Bass knob....my God!! A bass knob on an OD pedal!! What a novel concept!!! Nothing was worse then stepping on a pedal and hearing the bottom end fade away. Not with this pedal. You can dial in how much or how little bass you want. Nothing lacking there at all. The mids this pedal delivers are of a nice texture. Just enough to push it out without being overbearing. No hump or "nasal sounds" either. The Treble knob is very good but depending on what amp you're using it can get a bit "spikey" if turned up too high. Same with the Gain knob. Sounds great thru my DSL 50, but it can sound rather biting thru my Fender DRRI if your not careful. It's hard to describe a tone and in my very humble opinion I think it works very well for certain Van Halen things as well as certain Led Zeppelin things. I don't try to nail someones tone but I do like to get as close to the ballpark as possible without going too overboard. Songs like VH's "Beautiful Girls," "Panama," "Dance The Night Away," ...Led Zep's "The Rover," live version of "Over The Hills".....stuff like that. I'm not going to say the pedal NAILS those tones EXACTLEY because it doesnt. But set right and it DOES work very well for things of that nature. I don't think it's as organic sounding as my Barber Direct Drive SS, but it still works great for certain things.

Seems well built. Time will tell.

General Comments

Again, the Bad Monkey may not be this or that when compared to some other pedals, but of all the pedals I've tried my SS and the Bad Monkey or my favorites, hands down. For $40.00 it's a steal too.