Peter-if8SX

epiphone Vintage G-400 Electric Guitar

ACDC and The Who! I am not sure if it is because the pickups are (supposedly) vintage designed, they say '57n and hot-b, that sounds "classic" to me. In any case, I play through a Peavy amp but lately am using Line6 TonePort with the variety of amp and effect simulations, and the sound is great. I find specially exciting playing the Led Zep tone and this guitar sounds like an old Les Paul. There are no shrills or noises, bridge pickup is bright but soft and neck pickup is very bluesy. Mid position gives a lighter, clean sound that helps to play "strat" songs as well. Haven't compared it with a Gibson yet, but am very satisfied with the sound.

I am not sure about live playing, I've noticed some "weaknesses". The hardware would last indeed, however the G string always goes out of tune (is it typical from all SG's?). My only complaint is the pickup switch: from time to time, specially when I don't grab the guitar for a while, it will not work at first and a pickup will be muted. I have to quickly move it to bring the sound back, then it works fine. I think I should replace it. NOTE: I read some reviews stating that same switch problem also exists in Gibson SG's!! can it be??

General Comments

I've been playing from time to time during the last years, but more seriously in the last 7 months. I also own a Fender Strat, Fender Tele and Fender Jazz Bass.

I really like this guitar, but finally am planning to buy a Gibson SG Special (not the faded!) or a Standard. The difference in money is big, I know, but I always wanted to have the Angus guitar! In the end, I will sell it or better give it to my sister, so the Epi stays "at home".

The only thing I wished it had is a gigbag.

My only complaint is that, to be honest, I do not like Epiphone producing the new models in China. If you look closer, they are removing some details like the neck binding but still selling the product as if it was the same. I know they changed the name from vintage to faded only because of the Gibsons' faded series.