Chris-.qFWS

epiphone Vintage G-400 Electric Guitar

I typically play rock music, everything from classic rock to math metal. I use it with my Vox AD50VT, usually producing a darker, tone-filled sound. It has a fairly versatile sound, but has a few drawbacks. I feel that it has a nice sound on the whole, but could use a slightly higher output pickup to give it the extra power it needs to overdrive the amp just a little more or to give it that extra chug in a metal riff. Equipped with Seymour Duncan pickups of your choice, however, this guitar can really scream (I personally like the SH-2n/SH-4b combo).

This guitar withstands live playing very well. The hardware and finish are solid, so long as care is taken to protect them. The strap buttons were solid, but I replaced them soon after purchase for some Dunlop Strap Loks. I have (and continue) to rely on this guitar in a live setting, mostly without a backup. I would recommend it to any gigging musician who isn't willing to shell out over a thousand dollars for a Gibson of the same caliber.

General Comments

I've been playing guitar for just over a year, but I picked it up fairly quick. I play this guitar mainly through a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT with a custom Celestion speaker. When I first began playing, I had my sights set on the SG Special, but the salesman at Guitar Center convinced me to buy this instead (and I'm glad he did). If this were stolen or lost, especially after all the money I put into it, I would be severely depressed, and would either replace it or buy another similar Epiphone or Gibson. I love the fretboard and overall feel of the guitar; the biggest drawback (if you could even call it that) is the neck heaviness that's typical of the SG shape. I do wish it had slightly hotter pickups, but that's nothing that can't be easily fixed. Despite a few flaws, this is one of the better guitars I've played recently, far surpassing my friend's Gibson SG Special. If this guitar fits your needs and budget, I'd recommend it any day.