This guitar sounds pretty amazing - I own Strats and have owned Teles, and while this sounds close, it sounds different from either a Strat or a Tele. The humbucker is brighter than usual, probably because of the lightness of the body, but it still honks pretty good. The neck pickup sounds okay, but not an absolute knockout. For not having a tone control, the tone palette is pretty wide. I was able to get some nice, glassy Hendrix-type tones as well as some Jeff Beck-ish Tele honk out of it without much of a problem. I tested it through a new Fender Dual to check the clean tones, and a small Marshall ValveState combo to wind it out. Sounded great through both. Once I got it home, I put it through my Pod XTLive, and it sounded real good. The neck pickup is a little noisy, but I can live with it.

Too early to tell if this thing will stand up to a live situation. I tend to beat my guitars up pretty badly, so I'll be better able to tell after I've broken a few strings.

General Comments

I've been playing for 40 years, and after years of touring, I'm mostly a 'weekend warrior,' but I still take it pretty seriously. I've got somewhere around 20 guitars (haven't counted them lately) - a couple of Strats, Epiphone LP Jr. and Korina Explorer, a few Jay Turser guitars (LP Gold Top, SG, 335, and a 7-string), an Ibanez 7, and Ibanez 1980 Artist, a Jackson Rhoads, a Line 6 Variax, and a few others. I play through a Line 6 Pod XT Live into a Line 6 Flextone II XL.

I knew going in that this was a cheap guitar, and I found a lot of answers to my questions about it from the reviews here at Harmony Central. In fact, the reviews here got me off my butt to go and check the guitar out!It looked good in the GC catalog, but I've played plenty of guitars that looked great but played and sounded like crap.

I love the weight of this guitar, and I especially dig the unfinished maple neck. It's fast and fits my hands to a tee. If it were lost or stolen, I would most definitely get another one - I'd probably try to score one of the blonde ones next time.

You want a fun guitar that soulds great and costs next to nothing? You could do a lot worse than this one.