KingMFD

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Effects Pedal

This is with an Ibanez RG470XL and a Crate GFX-212 amp. The pedal is not particularly noisy, though it does send the amp into gales of feedback, which is kind of interesting. This pedal runs the gamut of sounding like complete thin needly crap to razor sharp tones, but I have found it sounds better with the distortion turned down to about 60% and a great deal of tinkering with the EQ knobs. I keep Level on about 75%, which seems to work out ok. I have to account for the slight modeling I am doing with the amp itself, because this stompbox will be the on and off switch for clean w/chorus+reverb to distortion and it also has to mask the chorus+reverb and somehow get it all to sound together similar to my Fender Roc Pro 1000, as this is my backup gear and I don't want to stray too far from the sound. So far, it is getting fairly close, but I still have a ways to go.

It is a Roland, which means that anything short of a nuke dropped directly on it will not harm it. I hope I never have to use it for a gig, but if I do, I know, just like the Crate, that I can rely on it.

General Comments

I play metal, blues, rock and punk and it takes an unreal amount of playing with those shifty EQ knobs to get a sound that works well for all of them, but I'm here to tell you that it can be done. Sure, in conjunction with the Crate GFX-212, it will never sound as good as the Fender Roc Pro 1000, but it is making a fair simulation and as a backup, that is all I ask for. This pedal sounds better than every other pedal out there, at least all the new ones and is the only thing that even got close to the GP-100, the sound of one of the settings of which I was trying to find. If it was lost or stolen, I would get another because I know it will be reliable and consistent and behave as I would expect it to behave. As I said, I hope never to need it, but if I do, I know I can count on it.