fluidrox

Marshall JMP-1 Tube MIDI Guitar Preamp

My main guitar is a 2003 Parker Fly Classic with the stock Dimarzio custom pickups. I mostly play hard rock and some metal. It gets are really really kickass rock and roll overdrive. It definatly doesn't get that Mesa/Boogie or Soldano sound (only 4 gain stages). But when I scoop the mids and turn the gain all the way, I can get really thick and heavy tones. Concerning clean... After the JMP I got right into a Mesa/Boogie 20/20 power amp. When I used to play with my Gibson V (gothic series, stock pickups) I could never get a good clean tone. It was always kind of overdriven unless I rolled the volume knob down. With the Parker, it cleans up a lot. I'm not too picky when it comes to clean, though. I just like it to not be distorted too much, so I like it with the Parker. It definatly not a Fender clean. Definatly a Marshall sound. I don't really know how to describe it. Maybe a few more mids and bit of a punch? And remember, it's got that MIDI stuff going for it! A hundred sounds with just a footswitch.

It hasn't stopped working yet. Whenever something has gone wrong it's been user error (like plugging the guitar into the headphone jack). Sometimes some of the buttons get a little stuck, though. They always seem to work themselves out.

General Comments

I've been playing guitar for about five years now. I've got through some really crappy amps (Danelectro and Crate). I love my tubes now! IMO, this thing gets a terrific sound. It seems to have some sweet spots with the right guitar and the right riff. If it was lost or stolen, I'd have to get one off ebay. Seems as if the price went up in the past few months (date today is 5/11/04) by about three hundred dollars. That's insane. If you're thinking about getting one, definatly try it out and listen to all the patches. It comes with a bunch of fun preset ones.