richey888

crate V Series V18-112 18W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

I play a PRS SE Soapbar, Squier SQ series Strat, and Epi Firebird. All sound good through this rig. Without an EQ pedal or Sonic Stomp this amp is a little flubby in the bass. Reverb is overwhelming, I keep it at 1!! On to the mods: at the price point, it's a great amp as is, you just need a little TLC to dial it in. Having said this, I tool a well broken in "12 Celestion/Vox speaker from an AD50VT and changed V1 for a JJ's ECC 83 and an EH 12AT7 in V2. Smoking amp now! I put a BBE Sonic Stomp in the chain (Bad Monkey, EH LPB 1 sometimes a Digitech Hot Head dist. and Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ and PB n J delay) at the end and it really livened things up. This amp would have been a bargain for $300+ but I got mine for $96 and a Holy Stain reverb/fuzz pedal at Sam Ash. Hella bargain, you can get them for $149 everywhere (MF, Music 123, Sam Ash online, etc.)

Had it a few weeks now, no issues. 5 yr mfg warranty.

General Comments

Smoking blues to hard rock OD tones, cleans are in the Vox camp. With some TLC and a pedal or 2 I'm loving this amp! SOLID 8's across the board.