SandrOliva

epiphone Vintage G-400 Electric Guitar

I added this guitar to my huge collection as I have retired my Gibsons from gigging (or at least from rehearsing). My guitar style has been influenced by Frank Zappa (I have been playing for years with some of his early musicians from The Mothers of Invention). But I also happen to play standard Rock'n'Roll, Classic Rock and Blues for fun. Not that much Jazz, some fusion every now and then. My main instrument is a modified EC Strat, and my main amp is a 1994 '65 TRRI, though I own many other tube and SS amps. This is not the first SG400 I own, I bought the first one as soon as they came out, but I didn't like it that much, so I used only for a couple of gigs. I owned another one (a 1989) a few months ago, but it didn't suit me at all, so I sold it. This one is different. In spite of it ugly look (the mismatched body and the scare right below the jack plug), it has an unplugged rich sound, and the neck is rather confortable. Plugged in, the neck PU is full played clean, and beefy though a little fizzy with my TS9 on. But my 1981 LP Custom and 1974 SG Custom (not so my EC Strat) share the same fizzyness, so it has something to do with this Ibanez guy. I don't usually use the bridge PU, but I wanted to check it out, so I turned the volume louder and stepped on mr.TS9 one more time. Well, it sounds like a Gibson. Maybe not the best one I might have played, but it's not in the same league as the other two G400 I have owned before. With a PUps change, it would probably sound even better.

THIS is going to be one of my backups!!!

General Comments

I think I've been very lucky to find one of the few SG400 which feels good, sounds good, and in the end doesn't look too bad, in spite of the horribly matched top (I will fix the finish later).

A great buy!!