whigs

Fender Cyber-Deluxe 112 Combo

I had the opportunity to spend a nice, mostly-quiet afternoon with a Cyber Deluxe about a month ago in a local music shop. I was given free reign to crank as much as I wanted, etc, and spent about 90 minutes with the CD, as it's something I've been curious about for awhile, and I'm in the market for a new amp. I have not purchased a CD yet, but I've had the opportunity to give one a good workout. I felt compelled to give a general response to some of the reviews that give low numbers and claim that this amp has no tone. Frankly, I think those reviews can be attributed to tube snobbery, and preconceived notions about what a SS amp sounds like. I'd wager that if you put the CD behind a curtain and cranked it with the Blackface Clean setting, you'd get oohs and ahhs about how good it sounds. The digital reverb, though very good, might give it away because it's not the same as a tank. But, as an earlier review states, in a live situation, it's good enough because most people don't care about every subtle nuance of tone we coax out of our gear. Cork-sniffers may be right in saying that their $2-3k boutique amp sounds better, but that's not a fair comparison. So, basically, this thing's clean and mild-to-mid dirt sounds are excellent, react to playing dynamics, clean up with the guitar's volume knob, and keep their appeal at higher volumes. I don't use heavy gain, so I didn't explore that aspect of the amp.

General Comments

The CD is on my list of possible amp purchases at a future date. I'm giving it an 8 because nothing's perfect, but this amp has great depth and flexibility, and don't be afraid to try it out - with an open mind. Also, do a little research and understand how to use the Manual mode, so you can try something other than the presets.

I don't like reading reviews where people give glowing or harsh reviews then indicate that they only tried something for a few minutes at a music store. However, I feel that some of the negative reviews here are less-than-genuine, and my opinions are based on a substantial trial of the amp. Anyway, like everything on HC, take this with a grain of salt, but the CD is one to check out.