Venturas

crate V Series V18-112 18W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

I use a squier deluxe strat and a squier thinline tele both equipped with fender noiseless pickups for my main axes. I normally perform with a Hot Rod Deluxe and this amp is used strictly for practice and recording work cds for learning and practicing solos between rehersals. This amp has the capability of great amounts of overdrive due to the gain control and with the stock tubes was a bit uncontrollable for me. I play mostly country music so there's is not much call for heavy distortion which this amp is capable of. With the midifications, and the use of an EQ pedal, along with a Chorus and delay pedal as well as a blues driver pedal(all behringer) I can obtain some very good sounds from both of my axes. With the new modifications, the gain is alot smoother and if kept below the 12 o'clock position with the volume staying above it, there is virtually no distortion at all.

I really can't comment on the amp's reliability as I have only owned it for about three months now. When I opened the back of the amp and replaced the pre-amp tubes, I noticed that the PC boards looked fairly sturdy and all of the resisters and caps looked well placed. I would not hesitate to use this amp on a gig. If it's not loud enough, then mic it. I didn't pay a great deal of money for it so this amp is my "Bar Amp" I believe that if taken care of, these amps should last quite a while (years.) So far the amp has performed very well, However, It should be noted that It is only played for 3 hrs at a time once a week. I am not currently playing every weekend yet so My amp IMO has not been fully tested under "Battle"Conditions by myself.

General Comments

All together this amp, for the money, is a very good rehearsal amp and it is also good for small venues. It is capable of lots of overdrive but not so much a good clean sound. Depending on what you play, this can be a good thing as well as a bad thing.I've been playing for over 40 years on guitar, bass and Keyboards.

I own A Squier Deluxe strat, Thinline Tele,(both with noiseless pickups) a LP and will soon be getting an Ibanez Artcore AG75. I mainly use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, I also own a Squier Jazz Bass and an Ibanez SR300FM Bass with active electronics. I have a Fender Bassman 250 I use with a 2-10 cab for bass work. I have own Fender, ampeg and behringer amps, however this is my first Crate amp. I wanted a Fender Blues Junior but at the blow out price of $149.99, I took a chance to save over $300.00. I think the amp is well worth the $149.99, but it won't compete with The Fender Blues Junior. If stolen, I would probably get another Fender Solid State or try for the Blues Junior. I'll Keep this one until it blows up or goes out. then go looking again.