Dancubus

DOD FX13 Gonkulator Modulator

I'm using a PRS SE II with this. Its pretty noisy, you can always hear a slight ringing when your not playing if the "smear" (ring modulation) is turned up. A noise gate fixes this though. People will pick this pedal up, based only on the fact that Incubus' Mike Einziger uses one (check out 'glass' on S.C.I.E.N.C.E.). Now I must admit falling into this trap. I'm a huge Incubus fan and have gotten slightly addicted to picking up the pedals Mikey uses. I half wanted something to add real screwed up sounds to my guitar...but the other half was Mikey's influence. At first I found myself banging my head against the wall as I had just spent £67 on something that just made stupid noises. After spending time with it though, with a bit of exploration, you can have an effects adventure. I'm using this with other effects, put in some phaser, flanger, delay...experiment with it and you might just find that wierd ass sound your looking for.

Havent had this long so I'm not sure how reliable it is, but I got it used from eBay and its working. They discontinued this about 5 years ago, so mines at least 5 years old and its still working fine. I doubt you'd need a back-up. Most people would use this as a one trick pedal, crack it out in one or two songs, if it gave up on me during a gig I could probably get away with replacing the effect with something else and calling it "live music variety"

General Comments

I play a lot of different styles and this is clearly not gonna make it into my blues songs. I didnt pick this up to enhance my sound, I picked it up because sometimes you just want to crack out something a little different. I'm in an experimental rock band and this will make it onto a few of our songs in places. Like I said before, I got a bit carried away by the whole "Mike Einziger uses this!!" vibe, but after trying to make the most out of it, I found you can get some cool sounds if used with other effects.

Just dont buy this and expect to sound like Mike Einziger, he doesnt use this all that much.

I live in the comfort that if I look after this, I could make my money back or even more in a few years.