HarpDoc-pey6U

crate V Series V18-112 18W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

I bought this for harp. I'd give it a 6 out of the box, and an 8 for sound with the changes that I listed above. It's a very dark/bassy amp, which actually works nicely for harp. It's too bassy for a guitar amp but voiced well for harp. You can dial in distortion at a quiet level and can get loud as hell. I just played an outdoor gig with it yesterday and had gain on 2 1/2 and master vol on 3. It's dead quiet with no hum. It is not my best sounding harp amp. Sounds good, but not great. What is nice about it is that it is very feedback resistant, more so than all of my other similarly powered or more powerful amps. It is light enough to carry (40 lbs) and, with the Accutronics tank, the reverb sounds good. For my gig yesterday, I didn't feel like lugging my effects pedalboard, including my anti-feedback MicroHush pedal. Nice to just grab the V18, a mic, a cable, and go. It's a solid, serviceable, gigging harp amp that sounds good, but not in any way magical.

Despite being ridiculously cheap, mine seems well built and has held up for a few months so far.

General Comments

Bought this as a cheap backup amp and have been pleasantly surprised. There are several online sites that have mods to make the amp better for guitar. For harp, it's voiced right out of the box. The upgraded speaker, tubes, and reverb tank helped make it less harsh and muddy. Makes a good, feedback-resistant, versatile harp amp. That said, there certainly are better sounding harp amps out there, they're just more expensive new or less reliable due to being old.