Dave-YcIQX

crate V Series V18-112 18W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

I was hoping that the sound was going to be akin to the V3112T being that its class A. It has a totally different sound not near as bright. Having said that I must admit I liked it for the most part. I really dislike the factory bottles and played the amp for about an hour before I replaced them with a matched pair of Cryoset JJ's and 12ax7's .... big difference. I also purchased a Eminance Red Fang to replace the crappy speaker that was in it. I can't say enough about the sound of the Red Fang. I play all day with it connected. The only problem was the speaker height was 6.2inches and the amp had 5.75 clearance between the baffle and amp chassie. It would have been easy enough to reposition it for the correcet clearance however I chose not to mod the amp and took the 40/40 Tone Tubby out of my V3112T. It fit in the V18 112 and put the Red Fang in the V30. The TT gave it a brighter sound and I'm sooo pleased with its sound now. So if your willing to do alittle work to an inexpensive amp its well worth the upgrades. Oh yeah the other thing and I had the same problem with the V30 is the cover on the back side of the amp buzzed at certian frequencies more so playing with the gain around 5. So thats been removed as well.

No issues so far

General Comments

I've been playing since 1967 ... yikes I'm old. I use a V3112T to gig and play a Yamaha SA 500 and Godin LG with lindsay Fralin P90's in it. I'm pretty sure I'd replace this amp if it where stolen. I think with the mods the amp has a great sound. The stock bottles seemed stiff and I'm wondering how the cabinet will hold up it seems alittle chezzy. I have no doubt it will server the purpose I intend for it.