Dave Hall

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50w 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

I use the amp mainly with a Yamaha AES500 which is quite dark sounding, but pull the coil tap and select the AC30 preset and this amp will produce jangly strat soundalike. Alternatively select 80's UK with full humbuckers and you have a good hard rock tone. I also use a Yamaha Pacifica 812 with SDs, which gives me brighter tones for a more mellow blues type feel. There are in all 10 amp models and 110 digital fx which can be combined. There are some nice clean models (Black Twin etc) going on to the usual Nu-Metal mush at the other end of the spectrum. As I said above the delay and modulation fx are good, the rest I've not really bothered with. This is a low end modelling amp and anybody expecting to hear a Mesa or a HiWatt is going to be disappointed. But my philosophy is this:- when you are playing to 50 -100 people in a pub who are reasonably drunk, on a Saturday night do you think anybody cares?

I've had this amp for 9 months and up until now no probs. Last night arrived at gig and plugged in - complete silence, lights on but nobody home. Winner! Luckily I had actually read some of the manual so listen and learn kids - Power on while holding down Write & Channel. Write and Channel lights will stay on until Tap button is pressed - Full factory reset. Case solved. You've lost your settings but you have a working amp.

General Comments

Buy this amp second hand. It does pretty much what it says on the tin.

The other guitarist in the band uses a Fender Deluxe with about ¿¿700 of pedals and it doesn't sound any better. It's well built and loud enough for most venues.