dmarks

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50w 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

I tried the AD30VT first and it had better treble response but I went with the AD50 for more power for playing live, jamming etc. The AD50 overall has a more mellow, musical, albeit darker tone. Out of the eleven models there are four I like and will probably be the only ones I use 99% of the time. I play blues, jazzy blues, jazz-rock fusion and some classic rock. I suits me pretty well except for the aforementioned lack of clean tones. I go for a Robben Ford type sound (hey, I can't afford a Dumble). I'm not a Strat guy so I can't tell you how it sounds with one but it sounds good with humbuckers. Although, as I said, you will need to add some kind of treble booster/tone enhancer. This amp does sound good tone-wise overall, it sounds very tube like (it uses a 12AX7 in the preamp section). I think it sounds better and the models are more accurate than the Line 6 products. Mine is fairly quiet but you can hear a hissing sound coming out of the vents on top of the amp, not from the speaker.

I've only had it about one month but I would not use it or any other amp for that matter, without a backup. Why take a chance? Anything can happen.

General Comments

I pretty much covered all this in the previous categories. I've been playing for 40 some years and have owned a lot of different guitars and amps, some I really wish I still had. But who knew then what they would be worth now? If it were lost or stolen, I'm not sure if I'd buy another. I like to try different products and there is so much available these days at affordable prices- it's hard to decide what to choose. However, this amp is definitely worth trying.