[Perceived output level] Incredibly high output.. arguably about hottest pickups out there [Tone] 81 - trebly 85 - middy [Sonic evaluation] I'm using a Peavey Transtube 112 EFX and an ESP M-100. I'm a lead guitarist currently not in a band.. I had to get a guitar to replace my first guitar, a Fender Squire Affinity Strat.. sad, yes I know. Although the ESP M-100 isn't considered to be much of a step, the guitar really is pretty good. These pickups made it sound a heck of a lot better. Seriously, if youre looking for pickups that can handle massive amounts of gain, then these are the right ones for you. They've been in my guitar now for close to a year or two and I can tell you that I tend to be disappointed in most guitars' tonal abilities now if they don't carry these pickups in them! However, even though I keep emphasizing the fact that these pickups are able to handle massive amounts of gain REALLY well, they're terrific for other classical or jazz type music. Completely forget about other reviews when it comes to this area. These pickups can basically handle anything and everything you throw at them! The only downside is the fact that they both require batteries in order to use them but since those 9-volts last close to half a year or some 8 months without losing their charge, you shouldn't really worry. [For which styles and positions is this pickup (un)suitable] Metal, Jazz, and everything in between basically. These pickups are great for just about any style of music.

General Comments

[Comments] I would definitely buy these again if the guitar was stolen or if they were destroyed.. I've simply grown accustomed to the tone too much to really consider other guitars that dont have these EMGs in them. Forget about the fact that they're endorsed by Zakk Wylde. After all, they were available first separately.. the only thing the ZW set does is bring together the EMG 81 and the EMG 85 in one convenient package. They really are incredible pickups though. They definitely are worth the money. I've been playing close to four years and I have a variety of pedals. Unfortunately, I don't have much money to spend for other gear, but as for now, these will do. Don't disregard my opinion because of my lack of gear. Afterall, my friend Glen and I were considered the best guitarists in my entire high school and there were tons of shred-worthy players. Okay, okay I'll stop gloating now ;) I'm definitely satisfied with these. However, I still advice you to try them before you buy them, as with any other purchase. However, I doubt that you'll go wrong with these.