[Perceived output level] The output is nearly twice as much as the average passive. [Tone] The tone is extremely crunchy and mid-voiced. Excellent bottom end, and non-harsh treble response. [Sonic evaluation] I installed this set in an ESP Explorer. My amp set up consists of a Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp, DOD Stereo Graphic EQ, Digitech GSP21 Legend, powered by a Crown Power Tech 1 power amp. This rack is sent through 2 Carvin 4X12 cabs. [For which styles and positions is this pickup (un)suitable] I play extreme thrash (think Nevermore), and lemme tell ya, these pickups are a Godsend! Perfect for aggressive metal.

General Comments

[Comments] I love these pickups- the bridge model has the BEST crunch tone I have ever heard- it literally ROARS(!), and the neck pickup (which is a Live Wire Classic, actually) has a great articulate, glassy sparkle in clean mode, and puts out a smooth yet screaming tone on the crunch channel.

The SD Metal Live Wire Humbucker is very mid-voiced, but that's a great thing- it gives you a lot of tone to sculpt, unlike EMG 81's, which are weak in comparison to these metal monsters! When you scoop the mids on these, you still have a TONE, which unfortunately disappears with some pickups. These pickups definitely provide me with the sound I've always wanted but couldn't quite nail. I was gonna get a Dual Rec, but I may not need to now!