With the stock cheapo pickups, I would think this bass is suitable for just about anything you'd want to play on it. The pickups are bright and punchy enough for most modern music. Overall, I'd say the MB4 has a typical bright Fender sound.

My only concern for the MB4 as far as durability is the body wood. I believe it's basswood, very is fairly light and not very strong. I like the light part, and I'm not hard on it, so for me it's not a problem. But I'm not sure how it would stand up to live playing/travel.

General Comments

This was never one of Fender's more popular basses, and it wasn't in their lineup very long. It's a shame, though; you'd think with all the varieties of Jazz and Precision basses that they make (standard, deluxe, American standard, American deluxe, elite models, signature models, relics, etc., etc....) that they could afford to have one bass that isn't just the same damn thing over and over again. The MB4 has unique features that set it apart; the smaller body, the longer neck, and the angled headstock, all of which are an improvement (in my opinion) over standard Fender instruments. I've owned about a dozen or more basses through the years, and I didn't like any of them half as much as the MB4. Since they haven't been made in a while, I don't know if I'd be able to replace it if anything ever happened to this one, but I'd sure try.