Johnny Malo

crate V Series V18-112 18W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

With both the Gain and Level knobs all the way up and the TMB knobs around 5, this thing sounded like Satan raping fifteen cats. I am extremely glad I bought JJ/Tesla tubes to replace the stock Sovteks. Recommended. I'm playing a strat copy with a Seymour Duncan lipstick tube in the neck, DiMarzio Area '58 middle, DiMarzio ProTrack bridge. Gain and Level both at 2 sounds wonderful with the new tubes, and Gain at 1 and Level at maybe 9 is also great. This is an amp for church gigs, or country/alt-country/rock gigs. In smaller rooms it could probably be unmiked, but I couldn't endorse that in medium to bigger rooms.

It's got a standby switch, so hopefully that will contribute to the longevity of the thing. But, let's be real: this is a $400, Chinese-made, particle board wired amp. Who cares how long it's going to last? By the time it's broken down, I'll probably be able to buy an Indonesian 5 channel Class ABC monstrosity for 230 Euros or whatever world-wide currency we're all using at that point. Just enjoy it while it lasts, people.

General Comments

Guitar into amp, I really like this amp with the tube swap. If it were stolen, I'd probably get it again, along with another set of tubes, and a neato replacement speaker. Overall, this is a good buy and yet another example of what a fantastic era of gear we live in.