I'm using this in the effects loop of a Mesa-Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb. The SRR is a great amp, but it suffers from the fact that it uses the same tone controls for all three modes. When I deal in a good clean sound, I find that the overdrive sound suffers, and vice-versa. So the way I use the GE-7 is as a "correction" for the overdrive mode. I dial in a good clean tone, switch to OD, and use the EQ to compensate. Then when I switch modes on the amp, I kick in the EQ. All I can really say is that it does what it's supposed to do. I'm not using it to effect any drastic changes in the sound. The sound through the EQ is clear, and direct. If I set all the sliders in the middle, I can't tell the difference between the sound through the EQ, and the sound when it's off. As I say, this is through the effects loop, which is buffered. It was somewhat noisy when I tried it between the guitar and amp.

It's a new unit, so I don't really know what happens when they get old, but it appears to be built like a tank.

General Comments

A lot of the reviews here seem to be from metal/hard rock players, so let me throw in another perspective. I play bluesy, psychedelic type stuff. My guitars are a Gibson S-1 and a PRS Hollowbody.

As I said above, I'm using this gizmo for compensation, not for drastic tone-shaping. I want to hear the natural sounds of my guitars. I want to hear the wood in my guitars. The GE-7 does not get in the way of that. When I use the overdrive mode of my amp, I use it to cut some of the mids so that the overall tone is more similar to the amp's clean mode. It's a fairly subtle adjustment - a little boost on the ends, and maybe a 4dB cut around 400 and 800. The GE-7 does a fine job doing what I want it to do.