Overall I play a combination of folk, blues, country, and roots and classic rock...This guitar is my "everyday" guitar, and is versatile enough and equally good for flatpicking or fingerstyle...The sound is absolutely beautiful...I wanted a mahogany-bodied guitar for a full sound, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't too bassy or boomy...this guitar has a beautifully balanced tone...even response across the range...the notes are articulate, well-defined, and have sustain and ring-out...great sound projection. Quite simply, this is one of the best steel-string acoustics I have ever tried...before buying this guitar, I tried Taylors, Martins, Guilds, and Gibsons...although some of the high-ended Martins were clearly superior in sound, I have to say that this Larrivée beat most of the aforementioned in "side-by-side" comparisons...what this guitar lacks in "appointments" it more than makes up for in tone.

With the satin finish, this guitar may not be able to resist the normal dings and scratches of owning and playing an acoustic, but it appears to be very solidly constructed nonetheless. I have had it a whole year, and it still looks like it did when it came home from the store. The construction is very solid and all parts are quality and appear they would last.

General Comments

I have been playing about 25 years...Although I may not have the skill level of a professional musician, I do believe I know a fair amount about guitars, and what makes a good one and what makes a bad one or overpriced one--I am cheap!...I also own a 1976 Giannini AWS-740 steel-string acoustic (largely unserviceable at this point), a 2001 Fender Hot Rodded American Double Fat Strat Hardtail (say that 10 times fast), and a DigiTech RP300...Although the lack of decorative appointments on this D-03 (especially compared to Larrivée's lavishly inlaid higher-end models) may not be for everyone (although it is for me--I like understated elegance), Larrivée clearly did not skimp on the basic quality parts and materials and workmanship on the entry-level models...This guitar, simply put, IMHO is undoubtedly one of the best guitar values on the market today...If you are in the market for an acoustic--even if your budget allows for a higher-end model--you owe it to yourself to check this one out and compare it to anything else you can get your hands on. I am skeptical of glowing H-C reviews...I prefer that a review include the downside of any item, but I have to say that I am a bit hardpressed to find many...For my style of playing, tastes, and skill, this is an outstanding instrument and suits me perfectly.