Yamaha FG830
Submitted: May 29th, 2019
by Kidderman
I bought this guitar on the basis of numerous good reviews in the media and from players who had themselves bought one. The consistent view was that anybody who got the guitar from stock would have to be prepared to invest in having work done in order to get it playing and sounding like the great guitar it could be. They were right. I decided to attempt the work myself, having had one disappointment too many from so-called 'professionals'. Three bone nuts (plus some nut files) and four bone  bridge saddles later, I've finally got the guitar to where I imagined it could be. It sings. Great overtones, whether strumming or picking. Next phase is to fit a LR Baggs M1 Active. Not confident enough yet to drill the hole, but I'll get there.
It's solid, well made, and feels like it'll last.
At 306 GBP, it was good value out of the box. However, you have to be prepared to upgrade some of the parts to take it to another level.
General Comments
There's no doubt that Yamaha-having put scalloped bracing into the new FG series-have inproved that series of their range. Understandably, they ship the guitars with plastic parts in order to reduce cost. Believe me, if you're prepared to pay for the upgraded parts and a good setup, you'll end up with an instrument which plays and sounds like it cost three times what you paid.
Guitarist and producer