Madeira A-30M
Submitted: May 3rd, 2002
by Eddie-rFd3U
The sound is what sold me on it. I play americana/country/rock/folk, and I like to play hard. I love the way this guitar handles the abuse like no Takamine, Ovation, or Taylor could. I'm having electronics put in it and making it one of my main guitars live, alongside a 70's Hummingbird copy (with added features) and a Jazzmaster (for the "plugged" stuff, of course). I gig a few times a month, and also do some session work, and this Madeira does "quiet" just as well. The sound to me is easily as good as a Martin or Guild. Nice bright sound rounded with rich bottom end.
This guitar withstands my playing very well. Heck, it's already withstood at least 20 yrs. of life and it's in near mint condition. Previous owner must have taken good care of it. When I got it, no immediate adjustment was needed, and no screw needed to be tightened. However, when I get a guitar, or when I come off tour, I always take the guitars to my luthier for adjustments. I believe the Madeira will last me a lifetime with the proper maintenance and care. Everything holds extremely well so far. I usually have a back up guitar with me, but I'm confident that this one would get me through the end of the night on its own, no problem.
General Comments
I've been playing guitar for 14 yrs, and professionally for 6. I have 7 guitars right now and the A30-M is at least on my top 3 right now, possibly top 2, alongside a 70's Hummingbird copy (customized, of course) and a Yamaha classical which is perfect for the jazzy/classical stuff (that I'm getting away from). Out of all my guitars, there are only two that I wish to keep forever, and the Madeira's one of them. If this guitar was stolen I would definitely miss it and would try to find another one like it, but could settle for something that I found to be of equal value. That been said, a guitar this good is REALLY hard to find for the price. Good deals are not hard to find if you know where to look, but this one I think was especially good. Anyone who owns a Madeira should treat it like at least an 800.00 guitar. If you know someone who can work on guitars, get them to work on this one; I guarantee it'll become one of your favorites