Ibanez JEM 10TH
Submitted: October 16th, 2002
by Kurt Wyberanec
I thought this Jem would sound very similar to the 7 V which I love the sound of. Instead it was very very different. Not good or bad different, just different. It's much smoother sounding and is very well balanced, however I feel it's frequency response is less than the 7V, it's odd cause they are supposed to be the same evolution pickups. I have to say I like the sound of the 7V more but this has a great sound in it's own. It reminds me more of a PRS Santana when it comes to tone more than a Jem, but it's really good just the same. The bottom is a little rounder and the highs are much smoother which depending on your liking is good or bad.
It's an Ibanez, what does that mean? It means excellent quality control from one unit to the next. I have said many times that if I had to choose randomly I would take a $200 Ibanez to a $2000 Gibson, simply cause you never know what you are going to get from them and many others and the Ibanez you do. I do like Gibson btw have one and am looking for another. The only bad thing I hold against Ibanez, is I don't feel their paint jobs are ever durable enough. It shouldn't be so easy to nick and ding a guitar, fender is guilty sometimes too although better.
General Comments
This is a guitar that I consider unreplaceable, with only a few hundred in the US this is also somewhat true. I would only part with it for something else that was really special. It's a great guitar, but it's also too much money. What I paid is what the lesser condition ones go for and I personally think that is what they should have gone for new. I have seen used mint ones go for as much as $4500 which is outrageous. There is nothing in this guitar that is worth that much. There are many guitars that are for superior for 2 or 3 thousand dollars. I just after picking up a Parker Supreme Tobacco Burst Flame Top and that kills this guitar. However, this is a great instrument just the same. If you are looking for the ultimate Jem in looks, style, and feel, this is it, depending upon your sound taste though, cause like I mentioned it sounds very little like the 7V, just different.