Haywire Custom Guitars Telecaster
Submitted: May 16th, 2016
by NJSax
I have two Haywire "teles". This review is for a tri-color sunburst Nashville Shredneck Custom that I purchased used in May 2016. I'm don't know what kind of pickups are installed as I haven't gone snooping around inside yet, but I believe they are whatever was originally installed. The Haywire website specifies Lollars and from what my ears tell me, I believe that's entirely possible. There's some serious tone here. Besides the pickups, other factors should be noted. Looks like an alder body and I have a rosewood capped maple neck. In case you don't know, the "Nashville" variation of the telecaster adds a middle pickup. But this guitar comes with a little more than just another pickup. In addition to a 5 way switch, it's got a toggle to add the neck pickup in positions 1 and 2. This guitar also features a treble bleed mod installed. The combinations are wonderful, and the sound is strong in any position. You can see video on the Haywire website. Mine sounds just like the video. I rate this a 5.
So far, so good. The body and neck are holding up well (See additional, qualifying comments below), and there are no issues with the electrics. The original, thin "shredneck" didn't fit me well, so I had this guitar set up with a thicker, c-profile neck. Overall, it's on the heavy side and very solid. Unlike my Gibsons or Godins, I wouldn't have a heart attack if I heard it fall off the stand, because I know it would take a lot more than that to do any serious damage to this guitar. I like that. This guitar can survive ordinary use without having to constantly keep an eye on it and pampering it. Rugged, in this category, scores higher than delicate, so it's a 5. I haven't had it that long, so reliability is still a question, and I can't go higher than 4. Both factors carry the same weight with me, so this averages out to 4.5
So far, so good, but I've only had it for a few months. The value is in how well the guitar holds up over time and use.  I really can't comment on value at this time, so it's a 2.5 for now.
General Comments
This guitar was a project that started as an Ebay auction during the spring of 2016, for a gently used Haywire Nashville Shredneck Custom Tele with a string-thru, six saddle bridge and a comfortable, rear belly cut (which I need). As the name implies, it was fitted with a slim, fast, shredder neck. I have large hands and a slight disability, and thin necks give me fits. I contacted the Haywire proprietor, Rick Mariner, about replacing that neck with a thicker profile neck and a classic 9.25" radius and medium frets. I gave him him some measurements from my other Haywire Tele including neck thickness at various points and nut width, and sent it in. Rick was able to replace the neck and match the profile I requested. This included a complete setup including fret leveling and dress, and intonation with 11's. The work was done at a very reasonable price and the turnaround was something like 3 days instead of the 2 weeks I has assumed it would take. Upon receipt of the re-fitted guitar, I'm completely satisfied. Rick Mariner not only knows his way around a guitar, but he understands the voice of the customer. This blows me away. Great guitar, sweet price, super service. See my review for my first Haywire tele elsewhere on this forum.
ASQ-Certified Quality Engineer. I'm an amateur musician, playing saxophone and guitar. My current stable consists of Strats, LPs, SGs, Teles, and Godins, as well as amps and saxes.  I'm influenced by Prog Rock, Southern Rock, Punk, and Texas Western (not country), and all that for sax including Jazz - Be-bop, and Fusion. Favorite guitarists include Eric Clapton, Al DiMeola, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, John McLaughlin, and Gary Moore. I would love to be able to play jazz guitar someday but my sax won't let me.