Bitar Freight Train
Submitted: February 19th, 2010
by Tony Dunn-0aKvo
I wanted an amp with gobs of clean headroom - if I want some dirt, I'll throw a pedal in there. Sweet chimey clean tones pour out of this amp - humbuckers and single coils both sound amazing through it although I do use a compressor with single coils - just to fatten things up. It loves pedals and the clarity it has with effects can only be compared to a Roland JC120 - excellent frequency response and clarity. I love the "Flame" control (think Drive) - it really sweetens the tone and takes the amp to the edge of breakup - shimmery and chimey!
Freight Train, yes, built like one. Point-to-point hand wired construction with only the best components available. The transformers in this thing look like the ones hanging off utility poles (well maybe not quite that big). Thick metal chassis and excellent cabinet construction with black tolex. Only a boutique builder can offer quality like this.
General Comments
I've playing for almost 35 years (yikes!) and this is the amp I've always dreamed of having. It's a sonic marvel that is meticulously constructed and extremely well designed. It's fat, punchy and has the warm tone that fills a room like nothing else. Every time I play out I get loads of questions about it - what the hell is that? Where did you get it? Are those transformers legal in the US? I finally had to ask George for business cards so I could hand them out... ;) The two things I really love about this amp are 1) only a few of these amazing amps exists and I've got one them, 2) it doesn't sound like anything else out there. George also helped me get a custom cabinet designed and built for the Freight Train by a local cabinet builder. It contains a Weber 15" Cali and a 10" Cali (in the same cab) - sweet highs and balls deluxe in one box. Perfect cab for this amp!