Ashdown MAG-250 410 Combo
Submitted: May 27th, 2006
by Chris Downing
Doesn't do distortion. Nice clean sounds through to puchy rock. Loud enough for most 4 and 5 piece bands and the extension socket to another cab makes sure you have a bit more in hand. It's definately louder with another speaker connected. It has a mid-range horn on the centre so slap and pop comesthrough very well. Could be used as a guitar stack at a push.
The light on the dail seems to fail to come on sometime and Ashdown immediately offered to fix this is I sent it back - but i'm not really bothered. Also I managed to get the thermal cutout to work when using another speaker - the circuitry works hotter when using two cabs - and again Ashdown sent me a fan and aprts and offfered to fix this free of change. All my contacts with Ashdown have been very good.
General Comments
I've been playing bass about 5 years and this amp has done it all for me in a pretty loud rock band through to school concerts and jazz. So it does all the jobs. Heavy as it's a 4 x 10 and amp. Runs better with an extension cab. I've another Laney 120 which just doesn't get used as it just doesn't sound anything like as good anthough the amp in the Laney is quiet - will be pensioned off to be a PA or acoustic amp soon. The Ashdown is silent o=in operation and with the fan being switchable (the one i fitted as it got too hot without) it's perfect for lessons at low volume as well. These amps are now avaibale in Europe for 350 when on offer - bloody huge value considering what this amp can do. The new ones are made in China