Steinberg Releases CMC Series of Cubase controllers
By Guest |
Dedicated modular controller system comprising six slim control units with pads, knobs and faders that cover aspects of handling Cubase
HAMBURG, Germany — Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH announces its new CMC controllers. Dedicated to Steinberg’s Cubase advanced music production system, the six USB-powered CMC units offer an integrated control solution that provides a desirable degree of flexibility and configurability.
The CMC controllers are equipped with a combination of control elements that provide tactile control over certain Cubase functions. Each unit can be used separately or hooked up together with the included joint plate, resulting in a control desk that leaves no wishes unfulfilled.
“The CMC controllers are ultra-portable and the design’s perfect, but more importantly, the units offer a mind-blowing array of control options. Without a doubt, the CMCs are the perfect complement to Cubase, and Nuendo too,” commented Stefan Schreiber, Steinberg’s product marketing manager for hardware.
The CMC-QC quick controller boasts 13 illuminated buttons and eight rotary encoders in three different modes: EQ, Quick Control and MIDI. In EQ mode, the rotary encoders reflect the channel EQ controls in Cubase, while the QC mode maps Quick Control capability onto the encoders for controlling effects and other parameters. The MIDI mode turns the unit into a freely configurable MIDI controller. Eight of the 13 push-buttons can be assigned to random Cubase functions. The included CMC-QC editor allows users to adjust MIDI control change parameters through the computer.
The CMC-PD pad controller features 16 highly responsive backlit pads and one rotary encoder. The pads change their background color according to the pressure exerted. Depressing the pads triggers MIDI notes or selects volume response curves. In 4Velocity mode, the pads are used for easy step recording. The rotary encoder browses sounds and presets in Cubase. The included PD editor software is used to assign MIDI notes to each pad.
The CMC-TP transport controller houses 17 buttons and a touch slider. The slider allows users to jog or shuttle through the project, tap in the tempo, scroll, zoom and browse. All major transport functions, including play, stop, record, cycle, fast forward and rewind, are controlled via the CMC-TP. Other buttons are used, for example, to insert markers, set the locator range or insert new tracks. The top four buttons can each be assigned to a second function, for even more control in Cubase.
The CMC-AI controller highlights Steinberg’s universal AI Knob, together with its ten function buttons. The AI Knob allows users to control any control element in Cubase by simply moving the mouse cursor over it. In Volume mode, the AI Knob turns into a high-precision master volume control whereas in Jog mode, the AI Knob is used to jog through the project. The AI Knob also doubles as a browse button to search and select presets. The four function buttons can be assigned to further control parameters.
CMC accessories comprise the CMC Studio Frame 4 and the CMC CC121 Extension Frame. The CMC Studio Frame 4 is a durable construction for housing up to four CMC units. The CMC CC121 Extension Frame can hold up to two CMC units and one CC121 controller.
Availability and pricing
The CMC controllers and accessories are available through the Steinberg Online Shop in October. Suggested retail price for the CMC-CH, CMC-TP, CMC-QC, CMC-PD and CMC-AI: $149 each; the CMC-FD is $199.99.
Features at a glance
- Six unique controllers designed to take control of dedicated Cubase areas — faster and more convenient than with any other solution
- Modular system: combine multiple units to form an eminently powerful Cubase control station that exactly fits your needs; joint plate included for quick and easy connection
- Fully mirrored Cubase functionality: intuitive operation due to color scheme and icons
- Perfect ergonomics guarantee a unique level of handling quality — created to make your recording and live performance workflow more musical than ever
- Perfectly complementing the CC121 Advanced Integration controller
- Brings innovative technologies to your fingertips: illuminated, high-resolution touch controls and rotary encoders for detailed visual feedback
- Portability: small enough to fit in your pocket, on a master keyboard or wherever desired
- USB-powered: no additional power supply required
- Cross-platform compatible with Mac OS X and Windows
- Cubase AI download version included to start recording your music straight away
Browse our press server at www.steinberg.net/pressdownloads for press material. All images and copies on the Steinberg Press Server are the sole possession of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, are subject to copyright and may only be used in the editorial environment except when explicitly agreed upon otherwise.