Gretsch Country Gentleman and cheap alternatives!

hairmetal

• Members

I've only had mine for a little over a month..

First off.. One of the most visually stunning guitars I've had the pleasure to look at. They don't keep too many Gretsch's in stock at my local shop. So when I opened the case for the first time, I was blown away.

If you're looking for a light guitar - Move along. This one's a beast. And pretty big, too.

It sounds perfect. This, along with a Duo Jet, defines Gretsch for me. The sound is its own. No other guitar can match its chimey but ballsy/country like sound. It can get pretty dirty. The Filter'Trons are what Malcolm Young uses, so you're kinda getting into that tonal universe.. Which is not a bad thing.

But I mostly play it clean.

Can't go wrong, IMO.

• Members

I owned one of the last American Chets back in the '80's. Sold it for nothing a few years later. :facepalm: As cool as the new CG's are I just can't get over the fact it's close to thre grand for a Japanese built Gretsch. I know they're screwed together well and all that, but it's still against the laws of nature.

• Members

I bought a Country Classic (Same guit as a CG) when MF cleared them out for the reintro of the Chet Atkins models for $1099. Best money I ever spent. What a guitar. Effortless to play, resonant and the ballsy chimey sound when played clean.

A cheaper alt is the 5120. Even though the pickups are "Gretsch-voiced" humbuckers, it sounds convincingly Gretschy. One of the AFS75TD Ibanez with a GFS Retrotron pickup swap is also a way to go.

• Members

Yeah, even if you get a 512x series guitar and put some TV Jones in it, you'll be saving a lot of money.

A LOT of money.

As for Japanese made guitars.. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. And nevermind, these are built nicer than some Made In USA guitars I've played.

Don't let that get in the way of buying a great guitar.

• Members

I'm sure the Jap Gretsches are amazing guitars. My Korean 5120 is an amazing guitar.

But it just really feels like you should be able to buy an American Gretsch. It's one of those things that's just so damn American.

Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Baseball, Johnny Cash, Rock and Roll, Cheeseburgers, Pickup Trucks, revolvers, hunting, Jesus...

they're just so damned American.

• Members

Unfortunately, that's what happens with business a lot of times... International outsourcing.

That's what makes me appreciate Rickenbacker that much more. If they'd only open up one or two more shops in California somewhere to fill their orders, man they'd rock.

Im liking the look of this!!

What pickups does the country gent have, and how much are they roughly??

Usually high sensitive Filter'Trons are used in Country Gents. If you buy the TV Jones versions (best recreation of the vintage Gretsch pups), each pup will run you about $125 USD.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5122-Double-Cutaway-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=514651

526044.jpg

+

http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/tv_classic.htm

= Poor mans Country Gent.

• Members

Unfortunately, that's what happens with business a lot of times... International outsourcing.

That's what makes me appreciate Rickenbacker that much more. If they'd only open up one or two more shops in California somewhere to fill their orders, man they'd rock.

Before I die, I WILL own a rickenbacker.

• Members

I'm poor too. Gretsch is not in my future for a long time... If you really want relatively inexpensive find an Ibanez AFT75T. I foung mine for 299 with case and it's very sekksy. Already gigged the hell out of it and its a trooper. Got a good set up at Minstrel Music here in chicago and it never goes outta tuen when I use the "Bigsby".

• Members

The Gent is one of the most beautiful guitars out there. It's a work of art. Is it worth it? Every penny. I recommend no alternatives. It's like a RIC, if you really want one you won't be happy until you get one. If you really can't afford one and you need something to calm the G.A.S. go for the 512x. With a set of TV Jones pups it will get you most of the way there(but it won't look as pretty).

I want mine for that 60's sound, Beatles on Sullivan etc. So I never try to get dirty with it. But I hear this guy Setzer can get some pretty dirty sounds out of a Gretsch with the same pups.

Picture278.jpg

• Members

The Silver Sparkle Artcore is going to become my poor man's Gretsch, provided I ever get off my duff and put a set of TV Jones Classics in it. I may have to get some Dice knobs for it too. Oh, and a Betty Page sticker or something like that.

TheOutlaws.jpg

Hey, then it'll look something like this:

May19034.jpg

• Members

I owned one of the last American Chets back in the '80's. Sold it for nothing a few years later.
:facepalm:
As cool as the new CG's are I just can't get over the fact it's close to
thre grand
for a Japanese built Gretsch. I know they're screwed together well and all that, but it's still against the laws of nature.

I feel just the opposite. I feel like the Japanese ones are so much better made than the Baldwin-era Gretsches, and if you go further back to the Brooklyn ones, more often than not the binding's falling off, etc.

I think the FMIC Japan-made guitars now represent Gretsch's golden age.

• Members

I feel just the opposite. I feel like the Japanese ones are so much better made than the Baldwin-era Gretsches, and if you go further back to the Brooklyn ones, more often than not the binding's falling off, etc.

I think the FMIC Japan-made guitars now represent Gretsch's golden age.

I agree. The Terada-made Gretsches are extremely consistent in build quality. The same thing can't be said for either the Brooklyn or the Baldwin -era guitars.

• Members

The Gent is one of the most beautiful guitars out there. It's a work of art. Is it worth it? Every penny. I recommend no alternatives. It's like a RIC, if you really want one you won't be happy until you get one. If you really can't afford one and you need something to calm the G.A.S. go for the 512x. With a set of TV Jones pups it will get you most of the way there(but it won't look as pretty).

I want mine for that 60's sound, Beatles on Sullivan etc. So I never try to get dirty with it. But I hear this guy Setzer can get some pretty dirty sounds out of a Gretsch with the same pups.

Picture278.jpg

I can vouch for the filtertrons at full grind. I have a G6120SHLTV Brian Setzer Hot Rod, and it kills at high gain through my Marshall. The sound is different, more sparkle and clarity than a Gibson, but none of the shrillness Fender single coils can sometimes have. I tell you, there's something about the sound of a hollowbody or large semi-hollowbody played through an amp at high gain. They're SO throaty sounding.

• Members

Alot of the sound comes from the player style. Check out Christian fingerpicking his G5120 with no mods through two amps. Those are Grestchbuckers. Simply the best honest demo of a G5120 to date.

[YOUTUBE]WpZDOYsLO94[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Hey guys, so tell me about the country gent - opinions and comments. Is it worth the pricetag, and how dirty can it go??

What good alternatives would you recomend instead??

Cheers
:thu:

Simply there are no alternatives. Lot of people suggest changing pickups in the Electromatic serie axes, but it's not the same.

The financial crisis is your friend, lot of good Gretsch guitars for sale. Don't be affraid from the pre-FMIC, they are excellent quality, just not 100% vintage accurate, but who cares?

• Members

Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Baseball, Johnny Cash, Rock and Roll, Cheeseburgers, Pickup Trucks, revolvers, hunting, Jesus...

they're just so damned American.

Sig worthy. :lol:

But really, the quality I've seen in the Japanese Gretsches is second to none.

I really wish I had the money to buy a big honking 6120. Oh well. :cry:

Archived