Sign in to follow this  
Puppetyr

The most accurate cover of FTLOG I've ever seen

Just found this on youtube. It's pretty much a flawless cover in every way - tone, whammy inflections, everything. Damn impressive:

It's great and all that, but he's playing a Steve Vai song just like Steve Vai on a Steve Vai sig guitar.

Dont really get the point.

I wonder what HE sounds like.

:thu:

And before someone posts "Steve Vai" in answer to my last post...you know what I'm trying to say.

:thu:

+1.

I agree. The guy is a good player, but it is no different to me than someone sitting there and doing an impersonation of one of their favorite actors, in their favorite movie.

They got all the lines down, they have the voice down perfectly, they have all the inflections, you close your eyes and you would SWEAR you were watching the movie.

O.K. But So what? What is the point?

Not really ripping on it. Hes free to enjoy music any way he chooses. I just dont understand trying to EXACTLY recreate something someone else already did.

+1.

I agree. The guy is a good player, but it is no different to me than someone sitting there and doing an impersonation of one of their favorite actors, in their favorite movie.

They got all the lines down, they have the voice down perfectly, they have all the inflections, you close your eyes and you would SWEAR you were watching the movie.

O.K. But So what? What is the point?

Not really ripping on it. Hes free to enjoy music any way he chooses. I just dont understand trying to EXACTLY recreate something someone else already did.

I can see your point, but then if he gets pleasure from it then why not? Doing covers of songs is a very common thing, and it's no different than what classical players do all the time; the vast, vast majority of the time they are recreating a piece of music played thousands of times before by others.

I guess I'm not a Vai fan...at all. I didn't even know what FTLOG meant until I clicked the YouTube link.

The person covering the song may be a great player, Vai clone.
I got to say though that song is borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring!

Having said that, I couldn't play that tune. So, I'm not knocking anyone.
Well, except Vai...he sucks! :lol:

Well done for sure. I'm certain once he decides to sound like him then it must be pretty darn good.

I am guilty as hell when it comes to "copy" an artist's rendition of his piece. Done it for years as an acoustic player. Now I've got to develop other skills and my own "voice", phrases and sound. Getting there but I have a long way to go.

I love Steve Vai, shredding in general, and this guy is a fantastic player. That said, this song has always been such a wanking piece. It is background music to put on when you are trying to do something else.

I can see your point, but then if he gets pleasure from it then why not? Doing covers of songs is a very common thing, and it's no different than what classical players do all the time; the vast, vast majority of the time they are recreating a piece of music played thousands of times before by others.

See your point. I guess it just isnt my thing, but remembering back to my early development and cover band days, I (we) used to take pride in trying to nail covers as accurately as possible. I guess I have just forgeotten that I used to be into it too.

As far as classical musicians, I know MOST of them strive to put their own interpretaions on the piece they are capturing, but to me more often than not, the piece comes out sounding more like an interpretaion that just barely misses as opposed to being spot on.

I would LOVE to hear how the actual composer would have played it, but I cant because all my favorites died a LONG time ago, so I really apprecitae the effort made by performers forgoing their own egos, and trying to recreate what the composer had in mind as accurately as possible.

I guess I have just forgotten there was a time in my life when I liked accurate cover versions of songs I like. I'm not into that so much these days, and I get a little bored seeing others do it.