give me examples of djembe in rock music (preferibles 60's and 70's)

danuniversal

• Members

give me examples of djembe in rock music (preferibles 60's and 70's)

(also, preferible psychedellic rock)

I am in a project with a girl that plays djembe, but she does not think that djembe makes good mix qith electric guitar...so i need some examples...

thank you

• Members

The only thing that immediately comes to mind isn't 60's and 70's, and that's Rusted Root, they're not really "rock", not really "psychedelic", but they have toured with the Dead (or the remnants thereof after Jerry died), etc. They had a LOT of different types of percussion.

If someone REALLY knows what they're doing with a djembe and knowsw how to get the proper tones, it can fit in to a LOT of different varieties of music. It's a little more cutting on the high end and way lower on the low end than a pair of congas, but can get quite a few varied tones and is more versatile than most people realize.

• Members

Djembes. Heh. Goddamn hippies are always posting them on the local Craigslist ... and 9 times out of 10 the location is either Santa Cruz or Berkeley. I think they buy them to get into drum circling, but smoke too much weed to really ever get good at it so they end up selling them within a few months.

The other hippie-dilettante instrument that always gets posted from Berkeley or Santa Cruz: didgeridoos.

Anyway, I'm sure your friend does not fall into that category, given that she seems to actually be playing the thing. Check out the popular music scene from Mali, which for several decades has blended African and Western popular and folk traditions -- even some smoking American-blues-derived stuff -- into some amazing music. Here's a quick and shallow overview of the scene from Wikipedia. One of Mali's biggest stars, Ali Farka Tour

• Members

Djembes. Heh. Goddamn hippies are always posting them on the local Craigslist ... and 9 times out of 10 the location is either Santa Cruz or Berkeley. I think they buy them to get into drum circling, but smoke too much weed to really ever get good at it so they end up selling them within a few months.

9 times out of 10 they also have no farkin' clue how to tune the thing, so they're pounding away on a drum with a head so loose you can push it in two inches with your finger, all the while wondering why it doesn't give that nice slap tone that someone that knows how to play can get :).

• Members

=Alex_SF;33316457]Goddamn hippies are always posting them on the local Craigslist ... and 9 times out of 10 the location is either Santa Cruz or Berkeley. I think they buy them to get into drum circling, but smoke too much weed to really ever get good at it so they end up selling them within a few months.

You're gonna love that band I recommend:

Sweet Smoke :thu:

No Joke!!! they're really good too!!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Smoke

Nobody knows them in england, but they rock!

Some of their songs are on you tube, but I can't remember which 1 has djembes in them - defo some sort of similar percussion though.

Perhaps not in that one, but had to put it in for the road....!!!! ;)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Djembe are really cool to play guitar with - you can drive some nice rhythms.

I'd love to play with good djembe player anytime!!!!

EDIT:

Bleurgh - my you tube insert didn't work nicely like those of other people... How am I meant to them?

Anyhow, links to you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6XEB9Aj9KA&feature=related

Forgot, ben harper's got some cool percussions going on in some of his songs:

That should satisfy all hippy hating people!!!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLqfNwSSFE

Archived