Charvel Model series - what are the features/differences?

Mazi Bee

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Sparky6string

I'm doing some work on this Model 7 for a friend of mine. If he were a real friend though he'd sell it to me.
:p

DSC00119A.jpg

That's exactly like mine, well except the original pickups are gone. I have a Rio Grande Muy Grande Tele Neck in the neck and a Hot Rails (wired single-coil) in the bridge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry to come late to the party, but I just bought my '86 Model 4 today. (at least I think it's and '86 model 4 based on the first 4 pages of this thread).

Somebody posted it on the local sale list as a USA Charvel. After talking to the seller, I realized he thought it was US cause of the Ft Worth tag. Anyway, I went to check it out this morning and broke the news to him (about it being MIJ). He didn't put a price on it but wanted me to make an offer. My first offer was $100 (with the original case) and he took it. I didn't need another guitar, but couldn't resist the project (esp. with a Kahler, never had one before).

It's definitely a work-horse. Plenty of scratchs and dings. All the parts for the Kahler are there except for the bar (what happens to all these bars? Are they all in a landfill somewhere). The frets are worn and a couple are slightly grooved. The electronics are slighlty buggered. The bridge bucker was replaced with a Duncan (label says DD1, any idea what that is?) and I think the active electronics were bypassed. I'm probably going to rewire most of it - possibly implementing a custom switching scheme (not sure about that).

Does anyone know where I can find the schematic for the active electronics? What are they supposed to do? I read somewhere that it was a mid boost. Is it like the circuit in the MIM Powerhouse Strat?

Also, what bar is appropriate? It seems like my MIM strat bar fits, but the white tip looks off to me. TIA.

Oh, and here are the pics:

charvel_full.jpgcharvel_body.jpgcharvel_case.jpg

• Members

Yeah the JCF has them.
This is indeed a 1986 model 4. The electronics are a Jackson JE1200 midboost coupled to master volume and tone. DD1 means distortion. For 100 bucks you got yourself a huge deal, beat up or not!!
I used to have a custom wiring on my 4 which allowed to bypass the midboost. But in the end I took it off and sold it. Right now there's a FullShred in there coupled to a 3 way (series/split/parrallel) and I replaced the 2 way On/on to switch the bridge bucker on and off by a 3 way on/off/on without the volume control.
Model 4s are fantastic guitars. I want more :(

• Members
Originally posted by hoerni

Sorry to come late to the party, but I just bought my '86 Model 4 today. (at least I think it's and '86 model 4 based on the first 4 pages of this thread).

Somebody posted it on the local sale list as a USA Charvel. After talking to the seller, I realized he thought it was US cause of the Ft Worth tag. Anyway, I went to check it out this morning and broke the news to him (about it being MIJ). He didn't put a price on it but wanted me to make an offer. My first offer was $100 (with the original case) and he took it. I didn't need another guitar, but couldn't resist the project (esp. with a Kahler, never had one before).

It's definitely a work-horse. Plenty of scratchs and dings. All the parts for the Kahler are there except for the bar (what happens to all these bars? Are they all in a landfill somewhere). The frets are worn and a couple are slightly grooved. The electronics are slighlty buggered. The bridge bucker was replaced with a Duncan (label says DD1, any idea what that is?) and I think the active electronics were bypassed. I'm probably going to rewire most of it - possibly implementing a custom switching scheme (not sure about that).

Does anyone know where I can find the schematic for the active electronics? What are they supposed to do? I read somewhere that it was a mid boost. Is it like the circuit in the MIM Powerhouse Strat?

Also, what bar is appropriate? It seems like my MIM strat bar fits, but the white tip looks off to me. TIA.

Oh, and here are the pics:

charvel_full.jpgcharvel_body.jpgcharvel_case.jpg

Nice score!!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Buckethead2

Predator: HS, bridge humbucker, neck minibucker rail, Reverse headstock, heel cutaway, schaller, rosewood fretboard.

Can't see pics...

Predator was a first electric guitar i've ever played :). It was in 2003 i think at my friends house. his father owned one. I didn't even know how to play a guitar back then and was afraid to strum strings very hard so i don't tear strings :freak:. Too bad he sold it before i started playing so i don't know how good was it.

• Members
Originally posted by Metal|Boy

Can't see pics...

Predator was a first electric guitar i've ever played
:)
. It was in 2003 i think at my friends house. his father owned one. I didn't even know how to play a guitar back then and was afraid to strum strings very hard so i don't tear strings
:freak:
. Too bad he sold it before i started playing so i don't know how good was it.

Better than any Jackson I've played.

• Members

I have grown to love these guitars after being spoiled by the San Dimas' in the 80's.

I own three of them(selling the black 3DR) and they all sound/feel/play terrific.

The firecrackle 3DR is the best of the bunch(pitched the JT-6 for a floyd) Followed by the pearl white "toothpaste" predator. Finishing is my black 3DR(For sale)

The neck backshape is a bit different and with the clear on it, it can feel sticky sometimes. My predator apparently had it sanded off and the neck is quite fast.

Here is a pic of the three imports.

WhiteBlackandFirecrackle.jpg

• Members

Model 88....I have one.....:D

AFAIK, the only Charvel with a mahogany body. Smaller (dinky size) body, but thick; mine's a pretty hefty beast. A prior owner pulled the original covered humbucker and replaced it with a Duncan. Some collectors love these, but mine's definetely not in collectors shape.

And I could care less....it's not going anywhere for a while:

charvel2.jpg

charvel1.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by danhops

Nice score!!!!

Well thanks for all your help! I don't think I would have been nearly so knowledgable without your friday night briefing.

I'm looking forward to getting it back together now that Metal|Boy sent me all the documentation on the electronics :thu: )

• Members

Woah, life's been way too ironic for me lately.

Couple of weeks ago I bought a 12 string bass at Sam Ash (see this link for that story), and the very next day I find one for sale on Craigslist.

So now I find a Charvel which I'm pretty psyched about and the next day I see a second almost identical one. Less that 15 minutes from home.

Passing this on with the hope that there's another Jerseyite looking for a good deal. (he's asking $250 OBO)

link to craigslist

3izIbAxjjnxw9kMzpfAhpR6znGk0.jpg
dC6ENGnGRubBuDViajV8fwPV7KcQ.jpgRQp3H8fgGKAvVQy69W7d0e1CYVQq.jpg3m9d9gDzvQSys7t8OansPv9JAC0e.jpg

• Members

Bumpin' a great thread.

Either I've been blind to these things before, or they are popping out of the woodwork.

Here's a link to a Pearl White Model 4 w/ a Kahler on NYC craigslist

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/156384839.html

Little steep. Anyone interested is better off crossing the river to NJ to get the one list last week.

I was in GC over the weekend and spotted a very similar Model 4 (Pearl White, w/ Kahler, etc) in front. I grabbed it to try since I haven't got mine up and running yet. Strings were way floppy like no one tuned it up to the right octave. Strangely the neck had the right curvature...

Anyway, so the sales kid (couldn't be more that 20 or so - about the each of the guitar) comes over to ask my how I liked the Model 6 (as usual, it was mislabeled). I just told him it was a Model 4, the Model 6's were neck through. But the price take was more in line with a Model 6 ($600). He got kinda quiet after that. :)

Looking around the store, I found another Model 4 (again mislabeled as Model 6 and marked $600) with the Sharkfin inlays and a JT-6 bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Pott

Model 1: maple or rosewood fingerboard, single J90c humbucker, vintage style bridge

Model 2: as model one, but with JT6 or Kahler pro (for 1986)

Model 3: dual hum model 2, model 3a had 3 single coils I think, maybe there's a version with HSS pickups (single coils were J100)

Model 4: my baby. 1986 had Kahler flushmount, others had a JT6, they also had the JE1200 midboost (6db midboost, I love it). Pickups were the J50B humbucker and J200 stacked single coils

Model 5: dual hum neck through guitar. 5a had only one humbucker, 5FX had a slanted single coil in the bridge. Pickups were J80 I think

Model 6: neck through version of the 4.

Model 7: Charvel Telecaster. Reverse headstock, some had a maple neck. Gorgeous

Model 88: slanted humbucker, reverse headstock, quite rare.

Model 1 to 4 had 22 frets.

Model 4 and 6 have sharkies except for 1986 models and model 4m (student)

Model 2 to 6 had Kahlers in 1986. Pro model (fulcrum) for 2 and 3, flushmount for 4 to 6.

The JT6 is a Jackson licenced Floyd Rose which is not bad at all.

Pretty good, except: The '86 Model 2 had mostly the Kahler fulcrum trem. A very few have the Kahler Pro.

The Model 5 and 6 have 24 frets as well as being neckthrough. ALL Model 6s have sharkies and bound neck and headstock, which the Model 4s do not have.

The bolt-on Models have basswood bodies. The 5 and 6 are neck-through maple with poplar body wings. The JT6 has some cool features but is made from soft metal so the threads are easy to strip out. An OFR will drop in as a replacement, but you need the long block because it's not recessed.

• Members
Originally posted by Barryj61

Model 88....I have one.....
:D

AFAIK, the only Charvel with a mahogany body. Smaller (dinky size) body, but thick; mine's a pretty hefty beast. A prior owner pulled the original covered humbucker and replaced it with a Duncan. Some collectors love these, but mine's definetely not in collectors shape.

And I could care less....it's not going anywhere for a while:

charvel2.jpg

charvel1.jpg

Beautiful guitar, congrats. BTW though, the set-neck Charvel 750XL is also mahogany-bodied and an archtop. It has 2 hums The 750XL is a beautiful axe and is rare in that it has 24.75" scale length.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

It's a model 1A.

No, a 1A had a Strat pickguard and SSS pickups. That guitar is either a Model 2 with a neck swapped from a Model 1, or it's a Model 1 with Floyd added. A lot of people liked the maple boards which didn't come on a Model 2, so they'd either add the Floyd or build a mutt.

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

I sold this to Alex Flouros, I believe it's a Fusion series, there's a pic of it in a big guitar encyclopedia I've got at home. I spent ages trying to figure out what model it was, till i realised it wasn't.... d'oh...

P1010004.jpg

That is definitely a Model 5, not a Fusion.
fusions never ever had Kahlers, and are a bolt-neck 24 fretter with the toothpaste logo and short scale of 24.75". That guitar has the old style logo and routed for a Kahler, and is 25.5" scale

• Members
Originally posted by The Eristic

None of the Model 1 variations are *terribly* valuable (though they're definitely going up), but it is one of the rarest Models in general. If it's clean w/ case, I'd say
probably
between $300 and $400 USD. I've seen 'em go for less, but the market for the MIJ Charvels has picked up since then, thanks to all of us morons telling everybody about how great they are.
:freak:

Yeah, no {censored}! :eek: A couple years ago Model 2s went for $200 all the time, and a Model 6 went for $350-$400 regularly. Now the Model 6s can go for $600-$700 though you can still find them cheap sometimes, and I've seen 2s in great shape go for up to $475 in the past few months.

GTot to learn to keep my mouth shut! :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Metal|Boy

Very nice! Looks like a Model 6. Got anymore pics of her?

Not a 6, it's a 475 Deluxe. The Model Series all have the guitar-shaped logo. The toothpaste logos are only on guitars that came out after the Model Series was discontinued. That guitar is the replacement to the Model 4.

Archived