Charvel Model series - what are the features/differences?

Mazi Bee

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Pott

How to tell the difference?

You can tell by feel, but I guess if you've only ever played one type, I guess you wouldn't know the difference.

Is the back of your Charvel neck shiny and glossy like glass? Does it feel like it's been painted over with a clear glossy finish?

If it's oiled, it will feel like a freshly sanded peice of wood with no finish on it. A glossy, lacquered neck can sometimes feel a little sticky...

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

My Charvel GAS is now at an all time high.

Mazi Bee...I thought you rocked before...I loved your NYC pics and your MIJ strats...but now my opinion of you has jumped to RAWK!!!!

The model series Charvels are tanks...I have 3...a model 1 and two model 1a's (GAS overtook me and I got two of them off of eBay in 3 weeks). As you now know, the model 1 is a single pup guitar with a vintage trem and the 1a is a strat copy except the input jack is on the edge of the guitar rather than on the top. My 1a has a vintage trem...I've never seen a 1a with a Kahler.

BowerR64's Charvel looks like a Model 2 to me. The model 2 is the same as a model 1, but with the locking trem (his is a JT6 trem). It might have a maple neck swapped onto her, but I do know that a few of the model guitars had a "maple" version of them. The model 4, for example, came from the factory with a rosewood board, but the 4M came with the maple board.

Depending on the year of whatever Charvel you get, your locking trem might be a Kahler. I'm pretty sure they switched to the JT6 in 1987-88. I'm also pretty sure that the model 5 and 6 were neckthroughs while the rest were bolt-ons.

Prices right now on eBay, to me, seem on the low side right now for the model series...but if you see one that you want to grab, make sure what model guitar you are getting. Also, none of these guitars were made in the USA, even though the Charvel neckplate had a Fort Worth Texas address on them. The San Dimas Charvels are US made, but you'll pay for it.

RAWK on Dude!!! Hope I helped some....

• Members

Originally posted by Koz

Mazi Bee...I thought you rocked before...I loved your NYC pics and your MIJ strats...but now my opinion of you has jumped to RAWK!!!!

The model series Charvels are tanks...I have 3...a model 1 and two model 1a's (GAS overtook me and I got two of them off of eBay in 3 weeks). As you now know, the model 1 is a single pup guitar with a vintage trem and the 1a is a strat copy except the input jack is on the edge of the guitar rather than on the top. My 1a has a vintage trem...I've never seen a 1a with a Kahler.

BowerR64's Charvel looks like a Model 2 to me. The model 2 is the same as a model 1, but with the locking trem (his is a JT6 trem). It might have a maple neck swapped onto her, but I do know that a few of the model guitars had a "maple" version of them. The model 4, for example, came from the factory with a rosewood board, but the 4M came with the maple board.

Depending on the year of whatever Charvel you get, your locking trem might be a Kahler. I'm pretty sure they switched to the JT6 in 1987-88. I'm also pretty sure that the model 5 and 6 were neckthroughs while the rest were bolt-ons.

Prices right now on eBay, to me, seem on the low side right now for the model series...but if you see one that you want to grab, make sure what model guitar you are getting. Also, none of these guitars were made in the USA, even though the Charvel neckplate had a Fort Worth Texas address on them. The San Dimas Charvels are US made, but you'll pay for it.

Thanks Koz! It's obvious that you have a great deal of RAWK about you as well!

So, do I really have to ask?

PICS??? :D

Everybody that has a Charvel, please post PICS dammit!! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Koz

BowerR64's guitar has something else than a JT6. The JT6 has the fine tuners included on the locking screws.

• Members

Originally posted by Pott

BowerR64's guitar has something else than a JT6. The JT6 has the fine tuners included on the locking screws.

Good call!! I just took a quick glance at it and didn't see the fine tuners on the top...perhaps its an OFR?

The Jackson/Charvel forum has a thread with pics of all of the trems used on Jackson/Charvel guitars...I'd link it, but I do believe you have to be a member to see the threads...

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

Thanks Koz! It's obvious that you have a great deal of RAWK about you as well!

So, do I really have to ask?

PICS???
:D

Everybody that has a Charvel, please post PICS dammit!!
:D

I'll take some tonight and post them...not going to be to exciting though...just 3 red model 1 and 1a guitars. BTW, you mentioned wanting more model guitars, or necks? I might part with one of the 1a's for cheap...they are players though and nicked up...anyway...I'll post pics of my family of Jackson/Charvels later...this would probably be a good time to submit an application to the Mazi Bee militia, huh? ;)

• Members

its a model one i got it on e-bay last summer for $150. and i put an edge and a kahler flip locks.

This is how i got it with the case. I tried for about 3 months to get one and you guys kept out bidding me. Finaly this one came up and its the sxact one i wanted and you guys were nice and let me have it. Thank you so much. Now i have the sxact same guitar my friend has, he won in 1988 or 89 from some ratt charvel give away thing.

StockM1.jpg

I wanted to put an EMG in it and the edge so i pretty much just wanted the body and neck anyway. I got damn lucky

BeforeAfter.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Koz

I'll take some tonight and post them...not going to be to exciting though...just 3 red model 1 and 1a guitars. BTW, you mentioned wanting more model guitars, or necks? I might part with one of the 1a's for cheap...they are players though and nicked up...anyway...I'll post pics of my family of Jackson/Charvels later...this would probably be a good time to submit an application to the Mazi Bee militia, huh?
;)

I'm mainly looking for necks now, but definately show me the 1a, and let me know more about it, I might be interested! The main one I'm gassing for is a Model 6. A killer white one just ended on ebay for $400.

And welcome to the Militia! We will add your RAWK to our own and it will no doubt help us to be unstoppable!! :)

ROCK ON Koz

flyingv_militia.gif

• Members

So Model 1's are single humbucker, maple fretboard and Model 2's are single HB with rosewood fretboard?

I have a blood red, rosewood board, kahler trem, with a JBJ HB.

I took the neck off last night and it is stamped 2D. Any idea what the DE stands for?

looks like this one

PICT4032.jpg

I was thinking of adding neck and middle pups and a 5 way once I get the last missing fine tuner for the Kahler. Is this a good idea, or should I just leave it as is? Not a bad score for $35 w/original tweed case, though one of the trem posts is pulled up a little and the trem seems a little too close to the neck since it is hard up against the neck side of the trem cavity. I guess I'll have to have some work done on it if I want to ever be able to pull up on the trem.

• Members

Model 1 had a vintage trem and a choice of rosewood and maple fingerboard. Model 2 were model 1s with a locking Trem: Kahler fulcrum in 1986 and JT6 the following years (87 and 88). I think they lost the maple option.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

All are strat body (basically P-style for the basses) basswood, no pickguard, bolt-on, unbound rw board w/ dots, 22 frets unless otherwise noted.

Model 1

1: single H, maple board, vintage trem

1A: S-S-S, pickguard, maple board, vintage trem

1B: single P, maple board, poplar body

1C: S-S-H, vintage trem, RARE

Model 2

2: single H, floyd or Kahler

2B: P-J, blend pot, poplar body

Model 3 - '86 makes will have pickguards.

3: S-S-H, 5-way switch, floyd copy or Kahler

3A: H-H, 5-way, floyd copy or Kahler

3B: ~7/8 P body, neck-through, poplar body, P-J, active electronics, 3-way toggle

3DR: Dinky (~7/8 strat), slanted S-H, reverse headstock, floyd copy

Model 4

4: S-S-H, 3 x 2-way mini-toggles, JE-1200 active electronics (three knobs), rw board, sharks, floyd

4B: same as 3B, but bolt-on

4M: same as above but MAPLE board and dots, RARE

Model 5 - All have ~7/8 strat bodies and 24 frets, just like Soloists.

5: H-H, 5-way, active electronics, neck-through, poplar body, floyd or Kahler

5A: same as above, but single H, minus active electronics, floyd only

5FX: same as above, but slanted S-H, single vol, 3-way toggle, floyd only

Model 6 - Same as Model 5.

6: S-S-H, active electronics, 3 x 2-way mini-toggles, neck-through, poplar body, bound neck, sharks

Model 7

7: S-S, 3-way blade, BOUND TELE-style, ash body, maple board, reverse headstock, 6-saddle tele bridge, uncommon

Model 8 - These are as rare as they get!

8: Dinky, S-S-S, 5-way, active electronics, telecaster bass-style pickguard, reverse color-matched headstock

8M: same as above, but maple fretboard

Model 88 - Limited edition of 1000.

88: Dinky, single SLANTED hum, figured african mahogany body, reverse headstock, sharks, floyd

• Members
Originally posted by guitarslinger

Model 375 - Scahller Floyd Rose, J-90c, 2 single coils, dot inlays, toothpaste logo, alder or basswood???
:confused:

EDIT,

MAZI, make sure you like that weird Jackson trem before you buy it. I wildly prefer the Schaller to it.

The Jackson trem is the reason I sold my neck thru Charvel. Worst Floyd Rose clone ever!

• Members

Originally posted by The Eristic

Model 4

4: S-S-H, 3 x 2-way mini-toggles, JE-1200 active electronics (three knobs), rw board, sharks, floyd

4B: same as 3B, but bolt-on

4M: same as above but MAPLE board and dots, RARE

There is also a Model 4 that comes with pearl dots instead of sharkfins. I have two necks like that. The pearl dots are much nicer than the plain white.

Archived