Charvel Model series - what are the features/differences?

Mazi Bee

• Members

How long does it take the admins at the JCforum to activate an account anyway? :mad:

While I'm waiting to head over there, who knows the differences between the Model series?

I'm starting to get into an obsessive old Charvel GAS mode. I love them pointy guitars! :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Model 1: maple or rosewood fingerboard, single J90c humbucker, vintage style bridge

Model 2: as model one, but with JT6 or Kahler pro (for 1986)

Model 3: dual hum model 2, model 3a had 3 single coils I think, maybe there's a version with HSS pickups (single coils were J100)

Model 4: my baby. 1986 had Kahler flushmount, others had a JT6, they also had the JE1200 midboost (6db midboost, I love it). Pickups were the J50B humbucker and J200 stacked single coils

Model 5: dual hum neck through guitar. 5a had only one humbucker, 5FX had a slanted single coil in the bridge. Pickups were J80 I think

Model 6: neck through version of the 4.

Model 7: Charvel Telecaster. Reverse headstock, some had a maple neck. Gorgeous

Model 88: slanted humbucker, reverse headstock, quite rare.

Model 1 to 4 had 22 frets.

Model 4 and 6 have sharkies except for 1986 models and model 4m (student)

Model 2 to 6 had Kahlers in 1986. Pro model (fulcrum) for 2 and 3, flushmount for 4 to 6.

The JT6 is a Jackson licenced Floyd Rose which is not bad at all.

• Members

Thank you :D Must be the Frenchness.

I think I didn't forget anything ... also, I don't guarantee it's all 100% right but you should get the picture.

OOOOPS I forgot:

All had maple neck

Neck through had poplar wings

Bolt ons were basswood.

My model 4 is AMAZINGLY heavy.

The 375 is from the replacement of the model series, called the temporary series (or toothpaste, regarding their logos)

• Members

Let me test the ol' memory here.

These are the ones I remember:

Model 1- 1 pup Strat style, vintage trem, bolt on, no pickguard

Model 1A- 1 pup strat style, Lic Floyd or Kahler, bolt on, no pickguard

Model 2- 2 pup strat style, Lic Flod or Kahler, bolt on, pickguard

Model 3- HSS, pickguard, Lic Floyd or Kahler, bolt on

Model 4- HSS, no pickguard, active electronics, Lic Floyd or Kahler, bolt on, sharkfins

Model 5- neck thru, 2 HB w/ 5way megaswitch, lic Floyd or Kahler, active electronics, dot inlays, 24 fret

Model 6- HSS w/ 3 mini switches, neck thru, sharkfins, active electronics,24 fret

I think that's pretty close but I'm old and I forget things.

Ha ha, Pott types faster than me.

My Model 3 was HSS, I do remember that.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

Model 375 - Scahller Floyd Rose, J-90c, 2 single coils, dot inlays, toothpaste logo, alder or basswood???
:confused:

EDIT,

MAZI, make sure you like that weird Jackson trem before you buy it. I wildly prefer the Schaller to it.

Is the Jackson trem the same specs as a Schaller? Specifially, are the mounting posts in the same spot so you can just thow on a different replacement trem?

• Members

Model 1a had a pickguard and 3 singles.

I think it's a model 1 with a Floyd simply enough. Was the locking nut added later on? IT seems to be a Kahler locknut... I'll go see thorugh the catalogue archives to see if it's a one or 2.

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

Is the Jackson trem the same specs as a Schaller? Specifially, are the mounting posts in the same spot so you can just thow on a different replacement trem?

The JT6 is retroffied perfectly by a Floyd. The only problem could be that the little opening where the knife edges touch the post is smaller and if you put an OFR you can only dive 99% of the way... that's if you're picky. But that 4 is my first guitar, and my only one, and I have no problems with its JT6. Taking care of a Floyd is much easier than people say.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

Let me test the ol' memory here.

These are the ones I remember:

Model 1- 1 pup Strat style, vintage trem, bolt on, no pickguard

Model 1A- 1 pup strat style, Lic Floyd or Kahler, bolt on, no pickguard

Model 2- 2 pup strat style, Lic Flod or Kahler, bolt on, pickguard

Model 3- HSS, pickguard, Lic Floyd or Kahler, bolt on

Model 4- HSS, no pickguard, active electronics, Lic Floyd or Kahler, bolt on, sharkfins

Model 5- neck thru, 2 HB w/ 5way megaswitch, lic Floyd or Kahler, active electronics, dot inlays, 24 fret

Model 6- HSS w/ 3 mini switches, neck thru, sharkfins, active electronics,24 fret

I think that's pretty close but I'm old and I forget things.

Ha ha, Pott types faster than me.

My Model 3 was HSS, I do remember that.

So are all the necks pretty much the same then aside from the inlays? The Model numbers just pretty much designate the pickup options then? (especially on Models 1, 2 and 3?)

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

I'm not sure, but historically, Jackson trems are always the right spacing to swap with Schallers. The call the Schaller the JT-590. The JT580 low-profile apparently will swap just fine with a Schaller. I don't have any Non-Schaller Jackson Trems right now, so I can't measure. Can someone else help Mazi??:confused:

• Members

The neck I think do share the same profiles. I played a 6 once though and the neck felt slighty thicker, but it's painted and my 4's is not.

I really want a 5 as my second guitar but we pay SO MUCH more here in the UK for model series... I paid 250 pounds for my 4, while usually 4s then seemed to go for around 250 dollars... i.e I payed 1.9 times its uS price :|

• Members

Yeah, the bolt on necks all felt the same to me. Just right. The inlays were different on the 4.

The OFR is a perfect retrofit. I put one on my Model 5 and put the 5's Jackson trem on my Model 3 to replace the Kahler fulcrum trem. The Kahler trem had the same post spacing as a floyd also so you should be good to go no matter what you buy. They did have those "behind the nut" locks though.

I know there was a factory 1 pickup , no pickguard with a Lic Floyd. I came close to buying one. I thought it was a 1A but it musta been numbered something else

• Members

I was looking at this exact same one earlier today. It's the EXACT second guitar I want. Too bad there are never any of these in European ebays :( And they'd be twice as much over here anyway.

• Members

So were all the necks oiled, or were some lacquered?

The one I have on my tele-bastard, I was told it was a Model 4 neck, it has the dots on it, so it must be an 86 according to this thread.

It has a very heavy hi-gloss finish on the neck.

the other one that I just got in last week, has a very silkly smooth matte oil finish. I love the way it feels.

Thinking about taking some steel wool to the gloss one to dull it up a little....

• Members

Originally posted by Pott

haha You just lost me there sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about, I started playing in February
:)
Hopefully someone else will be able to answer.

There's typically two different types of finishes on a guitar neck. Either a thick hi-gloss finish, or one that's pretty much just sanded wood with a light coating of tung oil. I generally prefer the sanded, oiled necks.

Archived