Best Buy Undercutting?

Nijyo

• Members

So, I'm at Best Buy this last weekend and notice that it has a musical instrument department now (I'm not at this particular best buy very often, much less best buys in general).

On my way out I wander over there and am looking around. Pretty decent low-to-medium range stuff. They have a buncha MIM strats on the wall so I go over to look.

They're selling them new for $399.

Now, I gotta imagine that they're skimping on SOMETHING but they look like normal MIM strats to me. Anyone else seen this?

• Members

Are they this years model? That was last years price, My local Guitar center is selling last years model for $379 until their gone.

I'll check that out, didn't occur to me. Not that I care. It's still got 6 strings and sounds like a strat.

• Members

Probably leftover stock from last year.

Or Fender is giving them a better wholesale price than anyone else, but that isn't likely.

Ya beat me to it. I wonder what wholesale is, Guitar center sold me the new model for $350 three weeks ago.

• Members

I'm not sure BEST BUY made the wisest move when they opened thier music division. Where I live they are 3 shops away from a Guitar Center. When I was checking prices they were doing MSRP (4 or 5 months ago). My bet is they will be closing out some of these as the year wears on.

Archived