Is it possible to fix a chip in a poly finish, and how to glue off of fretboards??

BoredGuitarist7

• Members

I have a pinkynail sized chip to the wood in one of my poly finished guitars. The chip has made cracks about a quarter size around the chip through the wood, which has raised one piece of poly to be uneven with the rest of the finish, almost like it is going to fall out - however, it is in there very securely. Won't even budge. Also, there are some hairline cracks radiating from the chip, that are completely even with the finish. If I couldn't see them, I wouldn't even know they are there. It is an olympic white guitar.

My question is, is it possible to fix that chip in the finish without refinishing the whole guitar? Will the fix be noticeable? Will it be easy to remove if I ever do decide to refinish it?

Also, there are several small spots of glue on the fretboard, not from the factory, but from a previous owner. I can't feel them, but I can definitely see it against the Rosewood. Easy to remove? If not, how would one go about cleaning it off? How would a professional go about doing it?

Thanks!

• Members

Its through to the wood though, so it wouldn't be level, would it?

Not immediately, but it can be layered until its level. If you're really particular you can go over it with clear nail polish so it looks as glossy as the rest. If you screw it up, it comes off easily. It fixed a sizable dent in my strat pretty easily.

• Members

nail polish is a tried and true trick. have a V with some dinged edges (missing wood even) and was told that finishing the edges in some cases is as much as a re-finish. The luthier told me that my np touch up was a perfectly good band aid.

It will not address the level business, but it will seal the area and make it look undisturbed from 5'-10'. If you want to be anal, put clear coat over the np, and if you want to be super anal, I suppose you could do the paint chip trick if you can actually match the chip and are skilled to make a puzzle piece fit.

• Members

Matching paint and superglue works best on poly. Wet sand it with about 800 grit and polish and it should look great.

+1

Superglue is probably the best for small dings, but larger chips require a lot more effort to blend in.

Fingernail polish is the common fix for nitro-finished guitars...because that's pretty much what nail polish is.

• Members

get a double tube of self mixing clear epoxy and the color and mix them together "after the epoxy is mixed".the epoxy is thick and it don't take a lot to go a long ways.tape around and carefully fill up the cavity.this works like a charm and is as strong as the finish.of course don't move it or allow it to run from the cavity or it will be a disaster.I did a strat about six months ago and that part is as sturdy as any part of the finish.

Archived