Gibson electrics with a 1.75" nut width?

ZigZagWanderer

• Members

Does anyone here know if there are any Les Pauls, SGs, or any other Gibson electrics that have a 1 3/4" nut width rather than the standard 1 11/16"? Any models or years where that happened? I've tried the Les Paul forum but have had registration problems and haven't been able to do a thorough search.

• Members

The Rickenbacker 650 series has 1 3/4" nut widths with a relatively fat profile. They are great guitars-I have the Dakota model. Otherwise I've been using Warmoth partscasters with the fatback/1.75" nut.

I really like Les Pauls and SGs, though, but narrower widths just don't feel right any more.

• Members

My SG is pretty narrow and it bugs me. My old Silvertone is a little wider. I rcently played a Godin Multiac with a 1 3/4 nut but it was nylon string. Loved the wider nut, though.

I dn't think Gibson ever did a neck that wide. Some of the 50's necks are kind of fat, but still not very wide.

I had actually looked into to a Warmoth. intriguing idea as I do like putting stuff together.

I did not know that about the Rics. I might try to check one out. I know nothing about them. What can you tell me about how they play and sound?

EG

• Members

I did not know that about the Rics. I might try to check one out. I know nothing about them. What can you tell me about how they play and sound?

I really like the one I have--mini humbuckers, neck-through, maple with walnut wings. There's another line called the Colorado that is finished in a range of Rick colors, and those may be all maple. The Dakota is plain wood.

If you go to this link: www.hernextfriend.com/music.html and scroll down to "New #2--selected tracks", you can here mine in action. All of the electric guitar parts on that recording were the Rick 650 run through different amps and effects. Start after the Seven Nation Army cover as that is all acoustic.

Archived