What do you guys know about plugging pot holes?

V-man

• Members

I just bought a Jackson online that was modified by the original owner, who pulled out what I believe to be the second volume pot. The pot is now plugged as is shown here:

Plug.jpg

I was wondering how this was accomplished. The third-party seller told me these are plugs that manufacturers sell for this purpose and they are easily removable. my concern is that it's some sort of bubba epoxy/JB weld job. Does anybody have experience with such plugs?

• Members

Odds are it's a simple wood dowel held in place by wood glue and then painted over. If you really want to take it out, just drill it out very carefully.

If that's the case, then I figured I'd leave it in until I saw the need to upgrade pickups. I was just wondering if there was any truth to what the guy was saying about the plug. I asked him what it felt like (thinking rubber) and he said it felt like plastic to him.

• Members

I can't help myself, if I were going to plug a pot hole and didn't have a roller, I'd use cold mix. Seriously though, the plug is probably similar to the same ones used in a cabinet shop to plug recessed or countersunk screws. if you want something a little nicer you might try paintable wood filler and some fiberglass resin. Then lightly paint over it. A dowel rod would work too.

• Members

Home Depot, (and probably most large hardware stores) carry an assortment of plastic and metal hole plugs, and probably some cut-and-shaped dowel plugs. I've used them to plug holes in a pickguard after I moved a pot. At HD check the section where they have hardware in the big plastic bins / drawers.

• Members

I think you're on the right track. Leave it 'till you see a need to use it. If you want a more permanent fix, dowel pin it & repaint. But you need to do a bunch of work & alot of swearing before it disappears completely.

• Members

Home Depot, (and probably most large hardware stores) carry an assortment of plastic and metal hole plugs, and probably some cut-and-shaped dowel plugs. I've used them to plug holes in a pickguard after I moved a pot. At HD check the section where they have hardware in the big plastic bins / drawers.

cool!! I need to plug the first hole in my strat pickguard. I have it set up for 1vol, and 1tone... the empty hole is a little distracting :thu:

Archived