Best Pickups for pinch harmonics?

thomasterrible

• Members

hmm i think my emg 85/81 set is probably the hardest set i have to get a good pinch harmonic on (though still pretty easy)

Easiest (surprisingly) is the Lace Blue in the Neck of my partscaster...

any pickup will do it though some will be slightly more responsive to it but you should be able to get even an acoustic to do it if your doing it right and not relying on luck

• Members

Whatever Sack Mylde uses.

It's like he can't keep his guitar from doing that crap.

How are you Mr Sterotyper, I am Mr. Actually Listen To THe Music And Not Just Type Things I Hear Others Say. Its a long name, I know.

• Members

Dimarzio D activator and EVO. Same with the BK miracle man, and Duncan screamin Demon. I also hear the GFS Crunch rails and Rockfield Mafia are.

I am finishing off my Jackson that has a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker which might work out too since it seems that dimebag got a lot of them. Surprised to hear about a neck pup working well.

The PA-2 20db gain might help me also.

I have listened to lots of comparisons on you tube and think will try the Seymour Duncan Black Out Metals in a neck through Kramer that has stock quadrails in it. Anyone familiar with the blackout METALS?

• Members

any pickup will work fine...i can get the virtual t's in my tele to squeal with the best of them. it's all technique...

I agree. I can get them on an acoustic guitar just as easily as a guitar with EMGs.

• Members

any pickup will work fine...i can get the virtual t's in my tele to squeal with the best of them. it's all technique...

Yep. It's all in pinching the string with the the thumb and pick or finger. That's why they call it "pinch" harmonics.

• Members

Yep. It's all in pinching the string with the the thumb and pick or finger. That's why they call it "pinch" harmonics.

Yes I know how to get them but notice that even between the guitars I own that some get better and some not as much and they are all playing through the same amp rig so I agree about the technique but there has to be pups that contribute to radical pinch harmonics too.

• Members

Yes I know how to get them but notice that even between the guitars I own that some get better and some not as much and they are all playing through the same amp rig so I agree about the technique but there has to be pups that contribute to radical pinch harmonics too.

Exactly, there are certain mid frequencies that are better suited towards making pinch harmonics sound more powerful. IIRC Dimebag used to use a parametric equalizer to help boost these frequencies... He also used bill lawrence pus. I think as long as you pick a mid heavy pickup that is really hot you should be all set. Compression helps too... :cool:

• Members

How are you Mr Sterotyper, I am Mr. Actually Listen To THe Music And Not Just Type Things I Hear Others Say. Its a long name, I know.

No. I'm Mr. I Don't Give Two {censored}s About Emulating Some POS I'm Not Supposed To Talk About Because It Has A Tendency To Get Me B&.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. N?b.

I'd like you to meet Mr. Ignorebutton.

:idea:

• Members

It's really about technique. Once you know exactly how to do it, you can do it on an acoustic or on a strat with single coils.

Seems like a LOT of guys that use a lot of pinch harmonics, use EMGs, esp the 81 in the bridge position. Personally, probably my guitar that was the easiest to get pinch harmonics out if was the OLP MM1 Wolfgang knockoff.

• Members

I want another shot at this.

Do you REALLY think...I have some vested interest in 1) Listening to what others have to say about Zack Wylde...2) Caring what others have to say about him...3) Repeating what others have to say about him...because it seems like a good idea?

While at the same time, never actually hearing him?

You do know he's a famous metal guitarist...and this forum is frequented by metal guitarists. Do you think I haven't heard him?

srsly?

You're a bad troll. Keep up or you'll get rund da fuk ova.

Archived