Our album was reviewed... now what?

jrm27

• Members

Hey friends:

Yesterday we received notification that our newest album was reviewed by a very respectable outlet in our genre's industry. It received (IMO) a pretty favorable review.

So, now what should we be doing to make the most of this? We are of course going to be including it in the info we send out, and will probably work a few lines into our bio. But what else do we do to harness any momentum we can? Thanks!

-jon

• Moderators

one good review is not exactly momentum. Use it as a stepping stone, and send the CD to other respected reviewers in your genre, using this first review as a sort of calling card.

Excerpt the highlights from the review in your EPK or promopack.

Link it in your myspace page...

• Members

read the review. it's always cool to get good reviews! congrats!

i would probably put a tagline on flyers for upcoming show. the one that stuck out the most for me would be:

"The latest from The Ride elevates an already impressive indie act, balancing radio reliability with increased artistic concentration."

-Andy Argyrakis (Christian Music Today.com)

also, put it up on MySpace... and use reverbnation.com's press clip widget for that. it'll even put a link to the actual article online.

-PJ

• Members

read the review. it's always cool to get good reviews! congrats!

i would probably put a tagline on flyers for upcoming show. the one that stuck out the most for me would be:

"The latest from The Ride elevates an already impressive indie act, balancing radio reliability with increased artistic concentration."

-Andy Argyrakis (Christian Music Today.com)

also, put it up on MySpace... and use reverbnation.com's press clip widget for that. it'll even put a link to the actual article online.

-PJ

Yep. That's called an "impact statement." If you can get more of those quotes, they're worth their weight in gold in getting bookings at higher profile shows.

• Members

Reviews are always good but I run a publicity company and when we send out CD's for review we usually send them out in batches of 30 or so that we hope out of those we will get atleast 20 reviews. Each one is good but a review does not do a lot for sales unless you get a Rolling Stone or a few other large magazine reviews.

• Members

Reviews are always good but I run a publicity company and when we send out CD's for review we usually send them out in batches of 30 or so that we hope out of those we will get atleast 20 reviews. Each one is good but a review does not do a lot for sales unless you get a Rolling Stone or a few other large magazine reviews.

It really depends on the genre. I got good reviews from both Blues Revue and Blues Access magazines, both national publications. They don't have nearly the circulation that a Rolling Stone does, but they still got me a lot of very nice decent paying gigs at large festivals and concert openings where I was able to make contact with radio people, other promoters and sell a lot of CDs at 15 bucks a pop.

• Members

How does one get reviewed or mentioned in a big magazine?

• Members

How does one get reviewed or mentioned in a big magazine?

A lot of magazines have features or columns for reviewing unsigned bands. Contact the magazine's review editor via email and ask him/her if you can send them a CD. That's pretty much all I did. They'll tell you how and where to send it if they're interested. I also enclosed a promo brochure with each CD that had my web address, sales outlets and contact info.

• Members

A lot of magazines have features or columns for reviewing unsigned bands. Contact the magazine's review editor via email and ask him/her if you can send them a CD. That's pretty much all I did. They'll tell you how and where to send it if they're interested. I also enclosed a promo brochure with each CD that had my web address, sales outlets and contact info.

Are you talking about indie magazines or very widespread magazines?

• Members

Are you talking about indie magazines or very widespread magazines?

Any of them.

My genre is/was blues, so I focused on the national blues mags.

The thing is most music is genre specific now, so while getting a review in Rolling Stone or Entertainment Weekly would have great promo value, it may be that your target audience doesn't read those magazines. And if you don't have national distribution, you probably wouldn't get reviewed by them anyway. Nor would it necessarily help you if you did get reviewed by them and you don't have retail hard copy distro.

Find out which publications/e-zines reach your demographic and go after them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey friends:

Yesterday we received notification that our newest album was reviewed by a very respectable outlet in our genre's industry. It received (IMO) a

So, now what should we be doing to make the most of this? We are of course going to be including it in the info we send out, and will probably work a few lines into our bio. But what else do we do to harness any momentum we can? Thanks!

-jon

Take that press and see if you can get any real press with it (ie. The Denver Post, Westword, Daily Camera, Coloradoan, The Onion, Colorado Music Buzz, FM Magazine, and all the university papers [CSU, CU, DU, Metro, et al.])

• Members

I wouldnt stop at one review.....

If i were you i would work on getting listed on as many of THESE -----> http://mashable.com/2007/07/06/online-music/

Sites as possible. The internet is the future!

You can also check out www.igigyou.com, we have a ways to go but it is free as well.

Surround yourself with positive people who will help you succeed! Music is indeed a game of hustling and sales.

Keep doin what you've been doin and MORE reviews will come.

Colin

:cool:

Archived