SDshirtman

• Members

I usually hate when people ask for pickup recommendations and I've read quite a lot on the subject. It seems like its going to be hit or miss and the process could be expensive. But here goes anyways.

Last year I picked up an Ibanez S520EX. I'm very happy with the guitar but the stock pickups are just lacking something for me. The bridge just doesnt have enough bite for me and I cant get a good clean tone from the bridge. I'm looking for some versatility for both replacements. I'd like the bridge to sound a little more full and still have the option to get some brighter tones if possible. For the bridge I'd like to get some grittier sounds from it. I 'd like to use it for some old metal tunes I like to revisit.

As a barometer I have an old 80's Charvel model 4 with a stock Jackson Humbucker and two single coils that I just love to death.

Let me finish by saying I DONT want EMG's and I plan on buying the replacements pickups used as I dont feel like sinking too much money into this guitar. I just want to improve the sound so I'll want to play it a little more.

Any help would be appreciated. Especially if you already own a modded S520EX. And in case it helps I play through a mesa Studio 22+.

• Members

Duncan JB/'59 combo. That's what I'm gonna put in my S 1625.

Or, if you're looking at DiMarzio, check out their site and they have a "quiz" where you tell them what you're looking for and they point you in the right direction. I'm not a fan of EMG's either, I'm getting rid of mine ASAP.

• Members

I have a PAF Joe and FRED in mine, I really like the amount of harmonic overtones the FRED could get, but I don't think its for everyone.

Honestly I'm only using them because I got them in a trade a while back, I'm probably going to change the bridge with a Seymour Duncan El Diablo thats in my Strat right now.

• Members

The FRED is one of my favorite p/ups for the neck, even though Satch uses it in the bridge :cop:

I have a PAF Joe and FRED in mine, I really like the amount of harmonic overtones the FRED could get, but I don't think its for everyone.

Honestly I'm only using them because I got them in a trade a while back, I'm probably going to change the bridge with a Seymour Duncan El Diablo thats in my Strat right now.

• Members

The FRED is one of my favorite p/ups for the neck, even though Satch uses it in the bridge
:cop:

Really? That's good to hear, because I was thinking of moving the FRED to the neck and El Diablo in the bridge. Do you get any more overtones from it being under the 24th fret harmonic?

Archived