Middle position on my Tele loses volume and punch.

SnoMan97

• Members

I installed a GFS Fatbody neck pickup in my Tele last night. The neck and bridge pickups alone sound great. But when I switch to position 2 for both pickups together the volume drops about 50% and all the low end is gone. I checked and rechecked the wiring and it is correct. I resoldered the connections as well. The switch is new too and it is a CRL. What could I be missing?

• Members

I had the same problem with a 3-way I got from Warmoth. After about a week of trying every diagram I could find, I orderd a new switch from Stewmac and solved the problem.

I had the same problem when i put in a GFS to one of my Epiphones. I just switched the ground and the lead and it worked just fine.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I have the same Telecaster issue. I changed my neck pup first as the old one died. All good but then changed the bridge pup for a custom shop, again great sound. Put selecter in mid position and volume and depth of sound dropped about 25 %. I read the forums and swapped the wires on the bridge pup. All great except much buzzing when i touch the neck pup casing.

Do i need to ground the neck pup casing direct to volume pot. Help.

• Members
On 6/12/2020 at 5:55 AM, Mike Routledge said:

I have the same Telecaster issue. I changed my neck pup first as the old one died. All good but then changed the bridge pup for a custom shop, again great sound. Put selecter in mid position and volume and depth of sound dropped about 25 %. I read the forums and swapped the wires on the bridge pup. All great except much buzzing when i touch the neck pup casing.

Do i need to ground the neck pup casing direct to volume pot. Help.

Your neck pickup should already be grounded. If you look at the bottom of the pickup one of the tabs should have a small piece of wire going to one of the cables. 

If your bridge pickup has a baseplate or a wire that goes to one of the mounting screws then that's also got an integrated ground (since that's how the bridge plate gets grounded). What you'd need to do is separate the ground on one of the pickups. I'd suggest doing that to the neck pickup since it won't involve removing the bridge. Unsolder the jumper wire and either solder yourself a separate ground wire or move the jumper over to the other wire.

3 Mods for 3 Guitars

Archived