Epi Les Paul Standard w/ Bolt on neck?!

• Members

I have my brother's Epi Les Paul Standard in my possession. I believe it is a 1995. MIK of course. I have heard several explanations on why it has a bolt on neck, one source, which I don't trust much said all MIK Epis were bolt on. Another source said it is a "Standard Special." Looks like your normal cherry burst Epi Standard to me. What gives?

• Members

Serial number matches up to a 1995 Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

I took the control covers and pots out and checked the top and its not MDF like the fakes are. And it was bought from an authorized Epiphone dealer.

• Members

I have my brother's Epi Les Paul Standard in my possession. I believe it is a 1995. MIK of course. I have heard several explanations on why it has a bolt on neck, one source, which I don't trust much said all MIK Epis were bolt on. Another source said it is a "Standard Special." Looks like your normal cherry burst Epi Standard to me. What gives?

No, I have a Korean-made Epi LP Standard, and it's a set neck. So, no, all MIK Epis were not bolt-on.

Is it possible that they made a certain model of Standard as a bolt-on in the mid-'90s? I don't know, but I kind of suspect that. Maybe someone else has better info than me. :wave:

• Members

Never heard of an LP 300 and this is all the info I could find:

"In 1991 they introduced the LP-300 which was a low cost guitar that lasted about a year."

This guitar came from the Samick factory, did Epi have more than one Korean source?

• Members

Never heard of an LP 300 and this is all the info I could find:

"In 1991 they introduced the LP-300 which was a low cost guitar that lasted about a year."

This guitar came from the Samick factory, did Epi have more than one Korean source?

theyve had lots. sammik, unsung, saein, fine, peerless, and a few more i think.

the lp 300 is trimmed like a standard but bolt neck. they were made for alot more than a year it seems. at least til the mid 90's.

• Members

Could also be the Studio Standard: http://web.archive.org/web/19970127152647/www.gibson.com/products/epiphone/lespaul/lespaul.html

Has the bolt neck and yet has the flametop.

Unfortunately no pictures when you click "Studio Standard", and the one thing that's off is the inlays, the Studio Standard had dots and yours has trapezoids.

Never heard of the LP-300.

• Members

I've don't think I've ever heard of an LP300 before, but I've seen a guitar that looked EXACTLY like that one at Mars several years ago... maybe 8 or 10 years ago.

Visually, it was a very attractive guitar. But if I recall, it was only $50 less than the set neck Epi LP Studio. It was more attractive than any of the Epi LPs they had at the time... at least to my eyes, but I couldn't get past the bolt on neck for only $50 less. Of course, the Studio was unbound and only had dot inlays. I think they were either $200 and $250 or maybe $250 and $300.

• Members

I ended up with a "Studio Standard" in an eBay auction back in like 2000. Same thing. The seller just listed it as a "Standard", but he may not have known the difference. He took it back no problem, though.

Nice enough guitar, just didn't want an LP with a bolt-on neck.

• Members

It sustains more than my set neck Washburn

I believe it but most don't.

I think the main diff w/bolt on necks is tone, not sustain. And the tone is not worse, just different.

IMO

• Members

I think the main diff w/bolt on necks is tone, not sustain. And the tone is not worse, just different.

IMO

Aren't there plenty of articles by luthiers that prove that bolt on v. set neck do not affect sustain? I think that my Washburn weighs half as much as the Les Paul is what makes the difference.

• Members

IMO

i wouldnt even go that far, simply because most bolt necks seem to revolve around fender spec anda 25.5" scale, and set necks are more likely to be 24.75. this would make the majority of the difference.

if you had an lp with a set mahogany neck, andone with a bolt mahogany neck, otherwise the same in every way, i doubt anyone would find any meaningfull difference.

• Members

Whether it's glue holding the neck to the body, or metal screws, I've yet to find a decently made guitar that doesn't sustain well.

my tele doesn't sustain well and it's a made in japan one. i don't really care about it tough.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

It's more than likely a real Epiphone. I seen a buddy of mine's Epiphone made in the mid 1990's around 1995 and it had a bolt on neck. The plate on the back said it was made in Korea for the Epiphone company of Nashville Tennessee. I thought that looked a little bit fishy so I took some time and checked online. I figured my buddy should know if his guitar was a fake.  Sure enough it checks out just fine.

• 4 weeks later...