Resinator Fretboard on a Hagstrom. What exactly is it?

Alex W

• Members

From the description:

"the resinator fretboard is a homogeneous wood composite that maintains a strong fundamental harmonic and eliminates wolf tones. It offers the articulate sound of high quality ebony but with more consistency and durability. Silky smooth, reliable and fast."

So are we talking like particle board-ish material? Is this a selling point or a cost cutting measure? I played one briefly in a Guitar Center friday and I didn't pay much attention to the fretboard. I looked up the specs and read about the resinator and I'm just curious if it's snake oil or legit.

• Members

I have a Hagstrom and have had others in the past. The fret board is actually really nice. It's supposed to be a composite that plays like ebony. The neck on the Hagstrom is the real selling point. Really unique neck profile. Really comfertable.

• Members

It just meens the neck kicks ass. But really it's a great playing neck,they a as solid as they come,my Gibson LP special felt like a toy compared to my Swede. The Swede is a heavy guitar so if your looking for light go else where. Mine came with poor pots,fast neck,closest thing I have played like it is my SG Standard. I was interested in them when I started listening to The Secret Machines,his (Ben Curtis) main guitar is a Swede but he uses other Hags in the music like the dual P90 F200P on "Alone Jealous & Stoned". They did a couple albums and then some stuff with Bono and Curtis left.

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/

http://www.hagstromguitars.de/hagstrom_home.0.html

http://www.hagstrom.org.uk/index.html

[YOUTUBE]Bt-7TJ_NAWE[/YOUTUBE]

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Got my first Hag about 10 years ago. Stumbled across it 2nd hand on Craigslist. Liked the look and the price and was in the area so stopped by to have a feel. After 2 minutes in my hands I could barely keep from reaching for my wallet. Gave the guy his asking price and got outta there as fast as I could. He told me I'd be happy with it and it's been my go to axe ever since.

Why, you ask?

That sweet, sweet neck!

Only guitar I've ever owned that I can tell people honestly, the neck feels as smooth as silk out of a baby spider's ass.

And playing it is as smooth as glass (well, it would be if I were a better player at least).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't see what the big deal is with the ebonal/resinator/richlite boards. I played a 1979 Kramer DMZ6000 bass for about 20 or so years with an ebonal fretboard. Thought about the fretboard almost as much as the .022 cap in the electronics cavity. Wasn't a selling point to me, or anything to make me continue playing the bass.

Archived