How do you protect your nitro finish from arm sweat?

orbm1

• Members

Hello Everybody:

Good Morning! hope you are having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

anyways...

I am a proud owner of a Gibson LP Standard 2004, it has the nitro finish (as you may already know)...

I love the sound, tone, sustain, etc.... EXCEPT.... the clean up after playing... especially right where my picking arm rests....

I use the Menard's kit which works wonder, but it is a pain to do the full 3 steps after playing!! and I know that eventually, the finish will fade, but I would like to hold that pretty shine as long as possible!

So here is my question:

How do you guys protect your guitars with Nitro finish from arm sweat?

I have been thinking about using like an arm sock to wear everytime I play (Anybody done that?) but I am not sure and I have not find one with a microfiber or not rough cotton finish that could scratch the guitar....

anyways...

Any suggestions?

• Members

Put the guitar in a glass case and never play it!!!

Really? I want to play it.... and I want to take care of it.... believe me, i understand taht te finish will fade eventually and it will get scratch and nicks, etc. but I want to do something on m side to avoid it getting old before its time...

Thanks!

• Members

The Gibson pump polish seems to cut right through the sweat scum in one step, but all of my nitro guitars have a duller finish where my arm crosses the top.

If you're seriously thinking about finding/buying/making a special microfiber sock to wear over your arm every time you play your guitar just to protect the top from sweat, you definitely need to consider a poly or satin finish.

My advice: change your attitude. Nothing you use will stay new forever. Be diligent about cleaning and maintenance, but don't let your possessions own you.

• Members

The Gibson pump polish seems to cut right through the sweat scum in one step, but all of my nitro guitars have a duller finish where my arm crosses the top.

If you're seriously thinking about finding/buying/making a special microfiber sock to wear over your arm every time you play your guitar just to protect the top from sweat, you definitely need to consider a poly or satin finish.

My advice: change your attitude. Nothing you use will stay new forever. Be diligent about cleaning and maintenance, but don't let your possessions own you.

Thanks!

I am not that anal about my instruments....but I am looking for something to protect my guitar when I practice, when I play live, I will not worry....

I just think, whoever invents something could become rich... there is nothing out there for this problem!

right now, I am practicing with a cloth over the guitar where my arm rests... maybe I should buy more log sleeve shirts (as suggested) for rehearsal...

It is my first time with this kind of finish, my first Gibson Les Paul for that matters, I have other guitars (strats, parker, etc) but never had that issue neither get the sound I get from my LP...

Thanks again!

• Members

unfortunately, I could probably during winter, but during summer????

I have played in long sleeves here and its 34-36 C most of the time.

I now wipe periodically with naptha, a petroleum distillate product surprisingly like Gibson polish.

Most times, I just breathe on it and polish with a clean cloth.

If the dullness becomes really obvious (and this is a black finish), I polish it properly.

All accepted Gibson techniques.

You'll get round to it when the newness wears off. Especially playing live will do that.

• Members

:confused:

Seriously?

People can't like a thinner finish AND like to have a well maintained shiny guitar?

You don't buy nitro because it's a thinner finish. Poly can be applied just as thin. The reason poly is associated with thick finished has nothing to do with poly's physical properties. It's because a lot of manufacturers who use poly apply thick finishes to cover up small woodworking defects.

Taylor acoustic guitars use a poly finish that's just as thin as nitro for example.

So why use nitro? For the wear and aging properties (which you are fighting)

Personally I'd just let it happen.

• Members

You don't buy nitro because it's a thinner finish. Poly can be applied just as thin. The reason poly is associated with thick finished has nothing to do with poly's physical properties. It's because a lot of manufacturers who use poly apply thick finishes to cover up small woodworking defects.

Taylor acoustic guitars use a poly finish that's just as thin as nitro for example.

So why use nitro? For the wear and aging properties (which you are fighting)

Personally I'd just let it happen.

Generally speaking, with electric guitars nitro is thin, poly is thick. Nitro is more fragile, poly can be unscathed in nuclear war. Don't nitpick my words. You know what I meant by my comment.

Except for the relic fanboys I don't think most people favor nitro because it wears off fast. Especially with Les Pauls I see the owners like to keep them nice. Nitro apparently breathes better, better tone or whatever, that is why people use nitro.

• Members

Generally speaking, with electric guitars nitro is thin, poly is thick. Nitro is more fragile, poly can be unscathed in nuclear war. Don't nitpick my words. You know what I meant by my comment.

Except for the relic fanboys I don't think most people favor nitro because it wears off fast. Especially with Les Pauls I see the owners like to keep them nice. Nitro apparently breathes better, better tone or whatever, that is why people use nitro.

Yeah, but what he's saying is that poly doesn't have to be thick. You can put on a poly finish that's just as thin as nitro and it'll be more durable.

Personally I say just let it relic and stop being anal about the guitar. If you really want something that's not going to age, refinish it with a thin poly finish.

• Members

I've used Gibson pump polish for years on my guitars. Just spray and wipe when you're done playing and the finish will look great for a loooong time.

I've owned this for 25 years, and it still looks great-

large.jpg

• Members

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet - it's meant to be the dogs bollocks:

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

It certainly has cleaned all of my gutars beautifully.

It will make a satin nitro finish glossy (not glass glossy, but fairly glossy still). Got some & will shortly apply that treatment to my les paul standard faded - but then I will top up the satin nitro too cos the finish on the faded standards are quite thin. I want to protect the original colour on mine.

I'm a bit like you in some ways - I have a beautiful guitar, I know it's gonna get nicks & scuffs, but I'll try and keep it as best as it can be for as long as I can.

At the end of the day, I paid good hard earned money for an excellent guitar, I'm gonna play it AND take care of it.

:thu:

• Members

The beauty of nitro is that it will wear, and, in the case of mine, haze. If you constantly wipe on it, that beautiful vos finish will turn into a gloss finish. Get over it. It blows me away when people buy "aged" guitars and then complain that their guitars are aging!

• Members

I've used Gibson pump polish for years on my guitars. Just spray and wipe when you're done playing and the finish will look great for a loooong time.

I've owned this for 25 years, and it still looks great-

large.jpg

That is a seriously hot looking guitar...a whole level above most of the LP's I see posted...love that burst finish (not usually a big fan). Maybe it's the lighting or the photo, but damn! :love: And you have obviously taken great care of it too. :thu:

Any more pics you can share? :cop:

Archived