Dings, nicks, dents, scratches, and character

• Members

Ok, so, many people have argued and discussed this topic

Are the dents, scratches, and wear just more character and story behind the guitar or a devaluing eye sore?

Can they help give your guitar a unique tone of it's own or does it even affect the sound of it at all?

What do you think?

What are your supporting fact?

Everyone write a reply, wether it's a couple of words or a novel

Let's discuss this

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

honestly i would love if my guitars all stayed pristine... but i play them so they wont... and if they get banged up oh well its because they get used... alot... has no affect on the tone though but a well worn guitar sure plays better... mostly due to your hand polishing and wearing the the neck in ways that cant be recreated with sandpaper

• Members

no on necks. Thy affects the way it feels to play. But if u have ENOUGH dents, dings and scratches it looks good in my book. Just like a scratch here or there looks like u don't care but a well worn in looks is lovely.

• Members

Depends. I have a black guitar thats got some scratches and dents on the edges just from regular wear and bumps here and ther. It doesn't look it bad. It just looks like they're suposed to be there. On the other hand my flame maple top bass has a light scratch from the pickups to the edge of the body and it drives me nuts. I'v tried everything to get it out. It's definately an eye sore and devalues the instrument.

• Members

It's inevitable if you play regularly. Eventually you will accidentally bump your guitar into something, the finish might wear down where your arm rubs, and the colors will fade, binding will yellow. Take it in stride - there's not much you can do about it. I don't think the actual cosmetic damage affects the sound of your guitar, but I think a bit of wear does make it "yours".

• Members

Character makes a guitar fun and yours. Yes, there are probably thousands of the same guitar you own. I never got the treat your guitar like a baby BS. High end one offs maybe...but a production line guitar, {censored} it....Play it!!! I beat the piss out of my CE22 and I make people sick with all the wear like why did you do that...Ummm...I played the damn thing like it was meant to. Guitars are instruments not wall art.

Each ding or scratch to me is its own memory. Like, "My strap came undone during this set and here is the result...what a night"...kinda deal.

• Members

I tend to like dents, scratches, etc. on my guitar. It shows that I've been using them, and it makes them unique. It just makes it so you're instrument is even more one of a kind in that no one else's looks exactly like it, and that makes me feel closer to them. Case in point is my Strat:

Strat-1.jpg

I love that guitar, because I could tell you where every scratch/dent came from, and it's pretty easy to see where my picking pattern rubbed down the finish. I just like the idea that my guitar is now unique to me, and if anyone else played it, it wouldn't have worn down the same way.

Granted, there are exceptions though. My rare guitars I don't really want to get scratched or anything since it lowers the resale value. If it's not a collector's piece though, and it's something I plan on keeping forever, I don't mind at all if it gets beat up.

• Members

i couldn't possibly care less about dings, scratches, dents, scrapes, worn finish, etc. it's a piece of {censored}in wood. i'm not going to purposely damage anything, but {censored} that just happens ... man, i have way more important {censored} to worry about.

• Members

I think there are good and bad dings.

Some guitars look good with half the paint hanging off and another will end up on ebay if it has one of those dings that your eye goes to first everytime you look it the guitar.

The finish is the main factor- most modern finishes are easy to ding and look hideous when they do.

I have an old Washburn N2 with the all over paduak stain.

Its dinged to hell and the finish worn down/through and it absolutely makes it.

Mojo.:)

• Members

I tend to like dents, scratches, etc. on my guitar.
It shows that I've been using them
, and it makes them unique. It just makes it so you're instrument is even more one of a kind in that no one else's looks exactly like it, and that makes me feel closer to them. Case in point is my Strat:

I love that guitar, because I could tell you where every scratch/dent came from,

SNIP.

That's my sentiment exactly - I like the signs of *my* use of the instrument. Those dent's and scratches are usually tied into some good times and/or band stories. Like the lines on my face, they're the signs of experience

• Members

Give the guitar a unique tone? Nope, not unless theyve damaged the integrity of the guitar thereby deteriorating its original sound as result of cracks etc.

Tone can somewhat improve over time in some cases such as small changes to pups magnetic char. Or in the case of nitro finish thats original tacky out of the box, but after some time finally dries properly. Or in the case of warwick basses which dont have a finish and are supposed to be regularly waxed untill a good base wax coat is established to prevent drying of the wood. That wax finish will somewhat affect tone though not as much as a heavy poly finish can.

Dings, scrapes, etc should be accidental. The sole result of accidental damage same as to a car or other property imo. However some regard natural & accidental wear over time as part of infusing the isntrument with ones spirit or somesuch. This nonscientific phenonmenon can slightly affect instruments playability and ease of getting desired tone it seems. Ive noticed this occassionally myself. The mojo effect which may be purely psychological does still have its effect. This can apply equally well to an instrument thats been loved and well taken care of to the point its still in excellent grade condition many years later resale value wise.

So, Id say banging up an instrument doesnt help its tone or playability etc at all. Those whove repaired chips etc on their instrument of course dont then lose any mojo from the damage. But might further infuse it with some more mojo thru the effort of repairing a accidental chip or scrape.

Lastly I'll give an example of wear on an instrument resulting from rubbing the body against speaker cab for controlled feedback etc. The wear doesnt make it easier to get these sound effect. The practice of getting the desired sound effect does however of course improve ones ability to do controlled purposeful feedback effects etc from this action. And because each instrument is unique the player whose used guitar x over and over to get said effect will be able to do it easier with that instrument then they will with a different one especially if the other one is diff shape.

All other "beneficial" side effects from instrument wear, dings etc are purely psychological imo. Joe blow thinks guitar x is special mojo object so they approach, handle it diff then they would another. This attitude change affects their playing skill with that instrument sometimes for the better.

• Members

There's an uncanny valley of wear. Mint = good, well-worn = also good, one or two spots = hideous. Also, it depends on the value and the type of instrument. If it's my most expensive instrument, I'm not going to let it fall into the uncanny valley.

• Members

All depends on 1. type of guitar and 2. how many there are (aesthetically, that is). One or two dings, no matter the type, looks bad, IMO. If it's had quite a bit of use, and it's an old Fender, then I think it looks awesome. If it's got lots of battlescars, and it's, let's say, a PRS (as mine does), it makes me cringe.

• Members

Ok, so, many people have argued and discussed this topic

Are the dents, scratches, and wear just more character and story behind the guitar or a devaluing eye sore?

That actually depends on the the guitar in question. There are numerous instances of really worn guitars that a cooler than hell, oddly a majority of them happen to be Strats. Jimi Hendrix's white Strat, Eric Clapton's "Blackie", SRVs strats, John Mayer's strat, Dimebag Darrell's "Dean From Hell", Zakk Wylde's Burnt Rebel/Beer Cap Gibson LP, and EVH's Frankenstrat to name a few. And there are some that are ok, like James Hetfield's ESP Truckster. Each guitar has a character and a story, and IMO each one is very cool. Each nick, scar, scrape, and burn mark, speaks of cool.

On the other hand dents, scratches, and wear are just devaluing if looking at a new or relatively new instrument. Speaks of neglect, of a lack of respect for the instrument.

As has been mentioned, if they are YOUR dings, they're cool to you, but devaluing to me. This has to be balanced by if I think they are cool or not as well.

Can they help give your guitar a unique tone of it's own or does it even affect the sound of it at all?

Generally no, unless significant damage has been done to the structure of the guitar. Body cracks, broken necks or headstocks, these could cause tonal change, but a body scratch or ding isn't going to make a bad guitar sound better.

From a purely psychological point of view, it could make it sound better, or give one the impression of a better sound because someone played the crap out of the guitar so it had to have something going for it.

The instrument might play better due to a wearing of the wood and application of skin oils compounded into the neck. Eric Clapton actually reshaped the neck of "Blackie" by playing it because the human fingerprint is somewhat abrasive taking his Fender V-neck to a unique U shape.

Archived