Flying V vs Les Paul tone comparison...

AlexMC

• Members

My favourite intrument dealer has Gibson 'faded' Flying Vs for 1/3 the price of a standard LP.

Mahogany body + set neck; 496R/500T pickups, tune-o-matic/stopbar etc.

Tone-wise, how close is this likely to be to a Standard LP?

• Members

Ok how does the 'feel' differ (apart from body shape)?

They resonate a bit differently, for one thing. With so much wood behind the bridge (I.E. The 'wings'), the instrument gives the player a different sort of feedback than a more traditional design (LP/ Strat/ whatever). To me, that type & level of response from the guitar is precisely what makes a V such a great alternative to the LP. A V also offers better upper fret access compared to a LP. Other than that, it's all aesthetics, IMO.

• Members

Ok how does the 'feel' differ (apart from body shape)?

Well, I'd say it's mostly from body shape/construction. First off, the V is a lot lighter (which I'm sure that accounts for some of the difference in tone as well). All other things equal, I'd much rather stand on stage holding a V for several hours! Between the differences in weight, balance and shape, the guitar just hangs differently from an LP and feels a lot different in your hands. Also, the shape of the body, combined with the flat top on the V can cause your picking arm/hand to rest at a different angle, which you may or may not like.

BTW, if you pinned me down on the tone, I guess I'd say the V is a little brighter sounding and has slightly less sustain than my LPs. Trying out the faded V in your local shop should answer most of your questions. They're good guitars IMO.

• Members

That's a really important point to note. Access to the upper frets is completely unimpeded with a V. It's weird at first but, once you're used to it, you miss it when you pick up a different guitar.

One other thing about the bass-side body "wing": it makes for a good elbow rest. Kinda like on an Explorer, you can sorta let more of your arm's weight lay on the guitar than if you were playing an LP. Depending on your style, I could see it being a feature or I could see it getting in the way.

• Members

As the owner of several Vs and a bunch of Les Pauls, I'm going to say I think you'll find them to be very different guitars. I like Vs, but they have their own feel to them. The body is much longer than a regular guitar and the shape takes a little getting used to. They do have great upper fret access.

Les Pauls are much heavier and have a more defined bass. Although they both have the Gibson sound, they are different. The 490/496 pickups are going to be hotter and brighter than the burstbuckers in a LP standard.

Play them both and see which you like. Keep in mind that the only real similarity is the name on the headstock.

• Members

So what's the deal with the faded models... cheaper finish and no binding? Is that it?

You'll find the fretwork a lot better on the Les Paul, especially if it's a newer one that's been pleked.

• Members

You'll find the fretwork a lot better on the Les Paul, especially if it's a newer one that's been pleked.

Don't know about this. I have had several V's and the fret jobs where as good or better in one case as any of my Les Pauls. My 50 year V's fret board is absolutely perfect. The neck is super straight, hardly any relief, with action that is extremely low from the first fret to the last and no buzzing.

I love my V's, but I prefer to play them standing. Sitting is OK, but for my using the classical position makes me stretch a little more then I am comfortable with to play fast lower fret stuff.

My 50 year V has a maple top so it is close to the paul in tone. My Robot V is kind of in between an SG and a Paul like the other poster said.

• Members

Don't know about this. I have had several V's and the fret jobs where as good or better in one case as any of my Les Pauls. My 50 year V's fret board is absolutely perfect. The neck is super straight, hardly any relief, with action that is extremely low from the first fret to the last and no buzzing.

I love my V's, but I prefer to play them standing. Sitting is OK, but for my using the classical position makes me stretch a little more then I am comfortable with to play fast lower fret stuff.

My 50 year V has a maple top so it is close to the paul in tone. My Robot V is kind of in between an SG and a Paul like the other poster said.

He was asking about the faded series vs regular, not LP vs V. I had two fadeds SGs that both had really sharp frets. Frets on the two Vs I've had (V98 and shred V) have been excellent.

• Members

Tone-wise, how close is this likely to be to a Standard LP?

Interesting interpretation GCDEF.

I have owned or own several fadeds and non-fadeds, SG's V's, and LP's.. Not much difference in the fret jobs. My current SG faded is very good. I paid $499 new.

Faded VS. standard nitro (thicker) is not much, maybe a little more resonant.

The fret board on most LP's are bound so that does make a difference. Any guitar you buy may need a setup wich may include fret leveling to your taste or cleaning up the ends of the frets. If you buy in person from a dealer they should perform this for free.

• Members

Interesting interpretation GCDEF.

I have owned or own several fadeds and non-fadeds, SG's V's, and LP's.. Not much difference in the fret jobs. My current SG faded is very good. I paid $499 new.

Faded VS. standard nitro (thicker) is not much, maybe a little more resonant.

The fret board on most LP's are bound so that does make a difference. Any guitar you buy may need a setup wich may include fret leveling to your taste or cleaning up the ends of the frets. If you buy in person from a dealer they should perform this for free.

Maybe they've improved. These were the early SGs with the ebony boards and moon inlays, or maybe I just had bad luck. I returned the first one and the second was just as bad. Gibson repaired it under warranty. After that, it was a really nice guitar.

The sound is going to depend on the pickups a lot. The 496/600 combination in the V won't sound much like a LP. I replaced that combination in my V98 with some PAF style duncans and it sound a lot like an SG. Still didn't have the LP fatness though.

Archived