MIJ Fender Tele w/ Foto Flame? info about it/should i hit this deal?

FloridaSeagull

• Members

I had one similar to this. Very nice guitar, pickups weren't the greatest so it's good that this one has had them changed. Vintage radius fretboard and frets, so consider that. They also seem to commonly have finish cracks in the finish on top of the fotoflame. I don't consider $525 to be any sort of unbelievable deal for a fotoflame. If you play it and like it and it's in good condition, I'd consider that a fair deal.

• Members

I had one similar to this. Very nice guitar, pickups weren't the greatest so it's good that this one has had them changed. Vintage radius fretboard and frets, so consider that. They also seem to commonly have finish cracks in the finish on top of the fotoflame. I don't consider $525 to be any sort of unbelievable deal for a fotoflame. If you play it and like it and it's in good condition, I'd consider that a fair deal.

I agree. Considering he's upgraded the pickups, that helps the deal.

I just happened to have an old 1995-96 Guitar & Bass Buyers Guide", from the editors of "Guitar Player" on hand.

And this is its description:

"TELE DELUXE $819.99

Foto-Flame finish, alder body with basswood cap, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck. Strat-style contours, tow vintge-style Strat pickups (neck and mid), and one vintage-style tele pickup (bridge)."

I happen to own a strat from the same era.

And I also upgraded the pickups. It's still not the most resonant strat I've bought, but it's not bad.

fotoflamestrat001.jpg

It has the same wood components. I've been thinking about looking into its hardware, like the bridge and trem block, to see if I can give it another boost. But lately I've been playing my EJ and JV Strats, so my MIJ Foto Flame Strat has been enjoying a slumber. It might end up going to my son.

P.S. of course the price above was MSRP

• Members

I agree. Considering he's upgraded the pickups, that helps the deal.

I just happened to have an old 1995-96 Guitar & Bass Buyers Guide", from the editors of "Guitar Player" on hand.

And this is its description:

"
TELE DELUXE $819.99

Foto-Flame finish, alder body with basswood cap, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck. Strat-style contours, tow vintge-style Strat pickups (neck and mid), and one vintage-style tele pickup (bridge)."

I happen to own a strat from the same era.

And I also upgraded the pickups. It's still not the most resonant strat I've bought, but it's not bad.

fotoflamestrat001.jpg

It has the same wood components. I've been thinking about looking into its hardware, like the bridge and trem block, to see if I can give it another boost. But lately I've been playing my EJ and JV Strats, so my MIJ Foto Flame Strat has been enjoying a slumber. It might end up going to my son.

P.S. of course the price above was MSRP

Thanks for that info !! im just thinking kind of what he stated in the post it is a tele/strat hybrid almost and the sounds that i could get out of it might be amazing..also do you know what the routing of it is? could i put a humbucker in there if i wanted to in the future?

• Members

I have 3 80s MIJ teles and the 62 reissus that I modded with Diamarzios is my favorite ax out of all my guitars .Thats including Clapton,Beck, and Ultra STRATS MIA tele deluxe and a lot more. They do great work over at Fender Japan. The sad part is the resale value will never be like a MIA.

• Members

I have a 92 photo flame strat that I've had since about 95 or so. Replaced the pickups, about ten time so far, otherwise it was pretty much good to go right off the shelf. Mine had already been upgraded to locking tuners before I found it and it holds up well. The neck on mine is huge though, never played a neck with larger dimensions. It's probably #2 or 3 in my rotation right now. I have the finish cracks that were mentioned above.

I just saw another blue photo flame strat on the local CL for $500 or so a couple weeks back. That seems to be the usual price.

It also looks like that is one of the models with the "hamburgler" on the neck. Mine does not have that.

• Members

I've owned that same model tele... like it's been said, pickups aren't anything special. Neck played well, small frets if I recall right. Tone overall just was dead sounding - I think the plastic wrap they put over the body must affect the resonance or something b/c every foto-flame guitar I've picked up has a similar unplugged lack of tone.

$525 is an average price - I sold mine for $400, mint.

Archived