Worst guitar string injury you've ever had?

geek_usa

• Members

The other day I was playing my acoustic and I went to slide down really quick to hit a chord, well by golly part of a clipped string was sticking out just right and I jammed my finger right into the needle. Bled for awhile :cry:

Got me thinking. What's the worst you have been through for a guitar string-related injury?

• Members

hmm i've had guitar strings stuck in the bottom of my feet so hard i needed pliers to get them out. :lol:

But i'd say the worst is when my girlfriend stuck herself on probably the clipped D string of one of my guitars, she said it was very painful and it bled a lot, it was really painful for me. i do it like once a week so it's no big deal, but yeah, her doing it made me cringe.

if i ever have kids i'm going to come up with some sort of caps to put on the end of the strings so i don't get any lil' accidents :)

• Members

After triming the extra string off of the tuners, I ended up with a piece of the g string in the bottom of my foot. It was hiding in the carpet just waiting for me. Only went in about 1/2".

I do that quite often actually. :mad:

• Members

Severed head.

Ok...not really, but when I worked in a mom and pop store years ago, people would bring in their old cheap acoustics and ask why the action was so high. Many times, they had all 6 strings tuned nearly an octive high. We would literally lay them on the counter (carefully) and kneel down, detuning each string at arms length, so as not to have the bridge fly off and impale our foreheads.

• Members

hmm i've had guitar strings stuck in the bottom of my feet so hard i needed pliers to get them out.
:lol:

But i'd say the worst is when my girlfriend stuck herself on probably the clipped D string of one of my guitars, she said it was very painful and it bled a lot, it was really painful for me. i do it like once a week so it's no big deal, but yeah, her doing it made me cringe.

if i ever have kids i'm going to come up with some sort of caps to put on the end of the strings so i don't get any lil' accidents
:)

They make this liquid electrical tape that you can brush on to stuff. I use it at work. a little dab on the end of your string and no more ouchies.

• Members

A long time ago I got the silly idea to string my Strat with .008s. Not long after, I got a real scare when I dragged my pinky up the fretboard on the high E string, and it gave me what amounted to a deep papercut. A little blood, but not too serious. No stitches. Didn't play again for a while, and I never used .008s again. But that was nothing compared to Ted Nugent's similar injury in the 80s, though -- IIRC his string cut him all the way to the bone.

• Members

on my first guitar i had a string snap at the bridge and wrap around my hand. left a nasty looking welt. i throw my clippings out, so i don't get them in my feet. i've also taking a string end underneath my fingernail. thats probably the worst.

• Members

Mostly just little pokes, but I narrowly avoided one the other night- was playing my Strat, and the strap came off the bottom peg. As the strat fell, I instinctively grabbed for it and ended up grabbing the strings. All the weight of the falling Strat ended up being stopped by the tip of my pinky under the high E (.09).

I honestly thought I had cut the tip of my pinky off from the way it felt, but ended up with just an abrasion and some swelling almost like a blister.

• Members

I changed strings on my Strat one time and evidently didnt pick up the old small E string because my wife found it with the vacuum cleaner ! Wrapped around the roller brush and severed the drive belt slick in half ! The only thing hurt was my ear, if you know what I mean !............................................

• Members

Mostly just little pokes, but I narrowly avoided one the other night- was playing my Strat, and the strap came off the bottom peg. As the strat fell, I instinctively grabbed for it and ended up grabbing the strings. All the weight of the falling Strat ended up being stopped by the tip of my pinky under the high E (.09).

I honestly thought I had cut the tip of my pinky off from the way it felt, but ended up with just an abrasion and some swelling almost like a blister.

But the strat was saved?:snax:

:badump::rawk:

• Members

Severed head.

Ok...not really, but when I worked in a mom and pop store years ago, people would bring in their old cheap acoustics and ask why the action was so high. Many times, they had all 6 strings tuned nearly an octive high. We would literally lay them on the counter (carefully) and kneel down, detuning each string at arms length, so as not to have the bridge fly off and impale our foreheads.

wow how did those strings not break?

I don't know if this counts as a string injury, but I ripped off the nail on my middle finger one time doing upstroke windmills Townsend style.

• Members

Now this did not happen to me, but to another fellow my instructor was teaching. He was attempting to tune his electric guitar while hanging his face over the edge of the guitar. The G-string broke and sliced his left eye rendering it useless.

holy {censored}. that's horrible. i'm staying the {censored} away from my headstock.

Archived