Do you lose volume when selecting both pickups?

iloveespguitars

• Members

I have one of my guitar setup with EMG 58 neck and EMG 81 bridge, and whenever I select the middle pickup, there seem to be a loss in volume or gain, I can't really tell but there's definitely a drop. It's been wired by L&M.

I have a second guitar with the same problem. Equipped with Seymour Duncan TB-5 bridge and Lace sensors gold duallys neck. Done by some guitar tech I met...

I always thought if your using both pickups at a time there must be an INCREASE in volume, not decrease :confused:

Never really noticed until now... since I never use the middle position anways lol.

• Members

Maybe adjusting the height of the pickups would do it. Do you notice one or another being louder or quieter then another? If so you should lower the louder one or raise the quieter one.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

• Members

Maybe adjusting the height of the pickups would do it. Do you notice one or another being louder or quieter then another? If so you should lower the louder one or raise the quieter one.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

I spent a lot of time adjusting here and there, so I guess where I live have just terrible techs :facepalm:

• Members

Both pickups at once should ALWAYS have slightly less PERCEIVED output when in parallel and in phase with each other, with a more hollow sound.

Out of phase? Ridiculous drop in output (sounds like ass too).

Anywho, normal ops there. Don't worry.

• Members

If there is a significant volume drop when 2 pickups are selected, the pickups are out of phase with each other. This is a wiring problem with the pickup itself and is not that unusual.

Reverse the ground and hot on one of the pickups. That should solve your problem.

• Members

Alot of good answers so far, but I have this to offer. If the guitar has dual volume are both pickups at the same volume? if not try that.

Depending on how its wired (which I know nothing about EMGs) maybe turning the volume down alittle on one will actually increase your volume because at full on for both volumes the pickups may be loading each other down some, turning the volume down some on one will put some resistance between them. That would mean your pickups are in parallel

If the second way works you can fix this low volume at full on by either getting them wired in series or putting a resistor between the each pickups volume control and switch say 47k giving you 94k between them when both volumes are full on. But like I said I don't use active pickups.

• Members

i'm not so sure that they're out of phase...when they're OOP, there's a volume drop since the pickups are cancelling each other out in places, but certain frequencies are also cancelled and you basically lose everything except treble. it gets real thin sounding, which can be useful to some people, but you didn't mention anything about a significant change in tone, so i don't think that's the problem. i tried it with a phase in/out push-pull pot and it wasn't for me.

if you don't use the middle, i wouldn't worry. the guitar with EMGs that i tried didn't sound too great in the middle anyway...

Archived